RE: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
      Hello HF,

      Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
      ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
      dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
      Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
      object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
      must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
      to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
      lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

      enjoy

      wilf

      <<D1_Reg_Flasher.gif>>

    • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
        In a message dated 7/22/00 5:50:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
        Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

        << Hello HF,

        Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
        ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
        dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
        Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
        object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
        must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
        to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
        lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

        enjoy

        wilf

        I've got a question about this D1_Reg_Flasher circuit. Actually two.
        1.) What are the slashes in the "powersaver 2v flasher" all about? Those
        aren't caps are they?

        2.) I'm assuming that you can add more than one "powersaver 2v flasher"
        circuit to this pummer, so you don't waste a bunch of gates. How would you do
        this? Any special way?

        Thank you a ton Wilf, it looks like a fun circuit to try!

        -Spencer

        <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

        not a robot scientist
        not a college major
        not a grad student
        not a professor
        not a very organized person
        just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

        I didn't write this!
        | |
        | |
        \/
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
          Hi Spencer,

          1.) The arrow and socket symbols indicate a connector: I want to emphasize
          that the 2V regulator can be a module that is "plugged" into other circuits
          (ie bicore/microcore) and that the powersaver flasher is just one of those
          circuits. This modular (beam blox?) approach that allows you to quickly test
          out various combinations of circuit blocks.

          2.)Yup, I guess I didn't explain it very well but only 1 of 6 typical
          flashers is shown and the other 5 inverters can be used the same way but I
          suggest using different resistor/capacitor values to get random flashing
          patterns.

          You can also use the 2 volt regulator with a 9V battery or 3V Lithium Coin
          to test and adjust the flasher circuits which absolutely need a 2V supply.

          The main reason for using 2V for HC circuits is that their internal power
          requirements drop waaay down compared to using 6V for example. That is why
          the flasher operates for such a long time with the regulator powered from a
          1F cap solar charged to 5V. Of course, adding more LEDs will reduce the
          time, let us know the results!

          enjoy

          wilf

          Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

          Hello HF,

          Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit
          Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values to avoid
          phase locking.

          wilf
        • Daniel Grace
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
            --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
            > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
            > different resistor values
            > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
            > frequencies with pots can
            > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
            >

            > enjoy
            >
            > wilf

            Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
            If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
            be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

            Thanks,
            ~Daniel

            =====
            ICQ # 39402143

            http://mail.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
              Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

              It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
              external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
              that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
              motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
              from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
              regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
              triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
              "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
              and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
              synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
              message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
              synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
              the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
              has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
              is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
              transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
              frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
              that of another oscillator.

              So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
              they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
              interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
              so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
              in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
              period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
              systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
              parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
              them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

              enjoy

              wilf

            • john simmons
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
                LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
                way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
                Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
                Thanks, JohnS

                >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
                >To: <beam@egroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
                >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
                >
                >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
                >
                >David

              • Ben Hitchcock
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                  Hi,

                  You can go here:
                  http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
                  to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
                  your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
                  this page and see what all the fuss is about.

                  hth,
                  Ben

                  http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben