Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

  • Patrick Pintens
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
      Sorry to ask (newbie and all), but what is a pummer?

      thanks in advance

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
        Hello HF,

        Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
        ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
        dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
        Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
        object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
        must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
        to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
        lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

        enjoy

        wilf

        <<D1_Reg_Flasher.gif>>

      • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
          In a message dated 7/22/00 5:50:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
          Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

          << Hello HF,

          Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
          ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
          dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
          Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
          object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
          must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
          to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
          lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

          enjoy

          wilf

          I've got a question about this D1_Reg_Flasher circuit. Actually two.
          1.) What are the slashes in the "powersaver 2v flasher" all about? Those
          aren't caps are they?

          2.) I'm assuming that you can add more than one "powersaver 2v flasher"
          circuit to this pummer, so you don't waste a bunch of gates. How would you do
          this? Any special way?

          Thank you a ton Wilf, it looks like a fun circuit to try!

          -Spencer

          <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

          not a robot scientist
          not a college major
          not a grad student
          not a professor
          not a very organized person
          just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

          I didn't write this!
          | |
          | |
          \/
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
            Hi Spencer,

            1.) The arrow and socket symbols indicate a connector: I want to emphasize
            that the 2V regulator can be a module that is "plugged" into other circuits
            (ie bicore/microcore) and that the powersaver flasher is just one of those
            circuits. This modular (beam blox?) approach that allows you to quickly test
            out various combinations of circuit blocks.

            2.)Yup, I guess I didn't explain it very well but only 1 of 6 typical
            flashers is shown and the other 5 inverters can be used the same way but I
            suggest using different resistor/capacitor values to get random flashing
            patterns.

            You can also use the 2 volt regulator with a 9V battery or 3V Lithium Coin
            to test and adjust the flasher circuits which absolutely need a 2V supply.

            The main reason for using 2V for HC circuits is that their internal power
            requirements drop waaay down compared to using 6V for example. That is why
            the flasher operates for such a long time with the regulator powered from a
            1F cap solar charged to 5V. Of course, adding more LEDs will reduce the
            time, let us know the results!

            enjoy

            wilf

            Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

            Hello HF,

            Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit
            Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values to avoid
            phase locking.

            wilf
          • Daniel Grace
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
              --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
              > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
              > different resistor values
              > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
              > frequencies with pots can
              > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
              >

              > enjoy
              >
              > wilf

              Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
              If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
              be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

              Thanks,
              ~Daniel

              =====
              ICQ # 39402143

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

                It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
                external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
                that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
                motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
                from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
                regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
                triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
                "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
                and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
                synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
                message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
                synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
                the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
                has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
                is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
                transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
                frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
                that of another oscillator.

                So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
                they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
                interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
                so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
                in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
                period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
                systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
                parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
                them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

                enjoy

                wilf

              • john simmons
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                  Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
                  LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
                  way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
                  Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
                  Thanks, JohnS

                  >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
                  >To: <beam@egroups.com>
                  >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
                  >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
                  >
                  >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
                  >
                  >David

                • Ben Hitchcock
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                    Hi,

                    You can go here:
                    http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
                    to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
                    your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
                    this page and see what all the fuss is about.

                    hth,
                    Ben

                    http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben