Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

  • David Perry
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
      Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.

      David

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
        Sorry to ask (newbie and all), but what is a pummer?

        thanks in advance

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
          Hello HF,

          Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
          ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
          dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
          Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
          object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
          must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
          to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
          lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

          enjoy

          wilf

          <<D1_Reg_Flasher.gif>>

        • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
            In a message dated 7/22/00 5:50:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
            Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

            << Hello HF,

            Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
            ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
            dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
            Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
            object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
            must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
            to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
            lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

            enjoy

            wilf

            I've got a question about this D1_Reg_Flasher circuit. Actually two.
            1.) What are the slashes in the "powersaver 2v flasher" all about? Those
            aren't caps are they?

            2.) I'm assuming that you can add more than one "powersaver 2v flasher"
            circuit to this pummer, so you don't waste a bunch of gates. How would you do
            this? Any special way?

            Thank you a ton Wilf, it looks like a fun circuit to try!

            -Spencer

            <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

            not a robot scientist
            not a college major
            not a grad student
            not a professor
            not a very organized person
            just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

            I didn't write this!
            | |
            | |
            \/
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
              Hi Spencer,

              1.) The arrow and socket symbols indicate a connector: I want to emphasize
              that the 2V regulator can be a module that is "plugged" into other circuits
              (ie bicore/microcore) and that the powersaver flasher is just one of those
              circuits. This modular (beam blox?) approach that allows you to quickly test
              out various combinations of circuit blocks.

              2.)Yup, I guess I didn't explain it very well but only 1 of 6 typical
              flashers is shown and the other 5 inverters can be used the same way but I
              suggest using different resistor/capacitor values to get random flashing
              patterns.

              You can also use the 2 volt regulator with a 9V battery or 3V Lithium Coin
              to test and adjust the flasher circuits which absolutely need a 2V supply.

              The main reason for using 2V for HC circuits is that their internal power
              requirements drop waaay down compared to using 6V for example. That is why
              the flasher operates for such a long time with the regulator powered from a
              1F cap solar charged to 5V. Of course, adding more LEDs will reduce the
              time, let us know the results!

              enjoy

              wilf

              Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

              Hello HF,

              Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit
              Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values to avoid
              phase locking.

              wilf
            • Daniel Grace
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
                --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
                > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
                > different resistor values
                > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
                > frequencies with pots can
                > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
                >

                > enjoy
                >
                > wilf

                Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
                If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
                be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

                Thanks,
                ~Daniel

                =====
                ICQ # 39402143

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                  Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

                  It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
                  external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
                  that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
                  motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
                  from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
                  regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
                  triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
                  "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
                  and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
                  synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
                  message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
                  synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
                  the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
                  has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
                  is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
                  transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
                  frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
                  that of another oscillator.

                  So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
                  they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
                  interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
                  so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
                  in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
                  period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
                  systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
                  parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
                  them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

                  enjoy

                  wilf

                • john simmons
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                    Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
                    LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
                    way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
                    Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
                    Thanks, JohnS

                    >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
                    >To: <beam@egroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
                    >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
                    >
                    >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
                    >
                    >David

                  • Ben Hitchcock
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                      Hi,

                      You can go here:
                      http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
                      to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
                      your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
                      this page and see what all the fuss is about.

                      hth,
                      Ben

                      http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben