Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)

  • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
      In a message dated 7/21/00 6:10:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
      hogfather@... writes:

      << Would someone kindly point me to a schematic (circuit diagram) for a
      pummer? Thanks!

      Yr Kindly HF.

      Good question, I don't think I've ever really seen any schematics for a
      pummer, however, I have seen a few pics....

      -Spencer

      <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

      not a robot scientist
      not a college major
      not a grad student
      not a professor
      not a very organized person
      just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

      I didn't write this!
      | |
      | |
      \/
    • David Perry
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
        Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.

        David

        > Would someone kindly point me to a schematic (circuit diagram) for a
        > pummer? Thanks!
        >

        > Yr Kindly HF.

      • Patrick Pintens
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
          Sorry to ask (newbie and all), but what is a pummer?

          thanks in advance

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
            Hello HF,

            Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
            ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
            dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
            Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
            object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
            must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
            to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
            lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

            enjoy

            wilf

            <<D1_Reg_Flasher.gif>>

          • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
              In a message dated 7/22/00 5:50:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
              Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

              << Hello HF,

              Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit which I build a few months
              ago. After a sunny day, it happily flashes one LED about once per second,
              dusk to dawn (8Hrs). The solar cell is a Sunceram BP 373334, courtesy
              Solarbotics, which charges the 1F memory cap (high internal resistance no
              object). The brightness is uniform throughout night. Unused inverter inputs
              must be grounded. Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values
              to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two frequencies with pots can
              lead to interesting random or long period patterns.

              enjoy

              wilf

              I've got a question about this D1_Reg_Flasher circuit. Actually two.
              1.) What are the slashes in the "powersaver 2v flasher" all about? Those
              aren't caps are they?

              2.) I'm assuming that you can add more than one "powersaver 2v flasher"
              circuit to this pummer, so you don't waste a bunch of gates. How would you do
              this? Any special way?

              Thank you a ton Wilf, it looks like a fun circuit to try!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
                Hi Spencer,

                1.) The arrow and socket symbols indicate a connector: I want to emphasize
                that the 2V regulator can be a module that is "plugged" into other circuits
                (ie bicore/microcore) and that the powersaver flasher is just one of those
                circuits. This modular (beam blox?) approach that allows you to quickly test
                out various combinations of circuit blocks.

                2.)Yup, I guess I didn't explain it very well but only 1 of 6 typical
                flashers is shown and the other 5 inverters can be used the same way but I
                suggest using different resistor/capacitor values to get random flashing
                patterns.

                You can also use the 2 volt regulator with a 9V battery or 3V Lithium Coin
                to test and adjust the flasher circuits which absolutely need a 2V supply.

                The main reason for using 2V for HC circuits is that their internal power
                requirements drop waaay down compared to using 6V for example. That is why
                the flasher operates for such a long time with the regulator powered from a
                1F cap solar charged to 5V. Of course, adding more LEDs will reduce the
                time, let us know the results!

                enjoy

                wilf

                Wilf.Rigter@... writes:

                Hello HF,

                Attached find the D1_Reg_Flasher (pummer) circuit
                Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use different resistor values to avoid
                phase locking.

                wilf
              • Daniel Grace
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 23, 2000
                  --- Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@...> wrote:
                  > Up to 6 LEDs can be used but use
                  > different resistor values
                  > to avoid phase locking. Fine tuning one or two
                  > frequencies with pots can
                  > lead to interesting random or long period patterns.
                  >

                  > enjoy
                  >
                  > wilf

                  Pardon my ignorance, Wilf, but what is phase locking?
                  If it is anything like what it sounds like, it could
                  be the problem in a circuit I had almost given up on.

                  Thanks,
                  ~Daniel

                  =====
                  ICQ # 39402143

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                    Always a pleasure to answer interesting questions.

                    It is a well known fact that R/C oscillators in BEAM are sensitive to
                    external noise which can cause "false" triggering. We have discussed how
                    that triggering may also be useful for providing feedback from a struggling
                    motor. But what if the triggering signal is periodic for example a signal
                    from another oscillator. Now the "false" triggering is no longer random but
                    regular and if the frequency of the external oscillator is close to the
                    triggered oscillator the frequencies of the two oscillators will become
                    "locked". This principle of frequency locking is also called synchronizing
                    and is used in all kinds of applications including the SYNC signals which
                    synchronize the video data of your PC with the monitor you are reading this
                    message on 8^). In nature, an example of frequency locking is the
                    synchronization of the moon's spin with it's orbit earth and always shows
                    the same face towards the earth or similarly the planet Mercury's day which
                    has become exactly the same duration as it's year. Oscillator phase locking
                    is similar to frequency locking but fixes the relationship between
                    transition. It is also possible for locking to occur on multiples of
                    frequencies so that one oscillator frequency becomes an exact multiple of
                    that of another oscillator.

                    So if the pummer flashers are close in frequency or multiple frequencies
                    they will eventually synchronize and blink at the same time ( not very
                    interesting because it's very predictable) But if frequencies are adjusted
                    so that the they are NOT harmonically related, they will still interact but
                    in very complex ways which can be truly random (bifurcation) or have (long
                    period) repeating patterns which span many cycles (like whale songs). Such
                    systems of frequencies are often exquisitely sensitive to external
                    parameters like voltage or temperature but if you are lucky and adjusted
                    them just right can be robust patterns which are very pleasing to the eye.

                    enjoy

                    wilf

                  • john simmons
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                      Sometimes I get these e-mails with an attached diagram but it either shows
                      LEDPUMP2.gif or a torn picture icon. Is it much trouble to send them another
                      way or what can I do? I have to use the computers at school. If these are
                      Wilfster designs then they are in the Wilf archives aren't they?
                      Thanks, JohnS

                      >From: "David Perry" <davidperry@...>
                      >To: <beam@egroups.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [beam] Pummer (sp?)
                      >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:34:06 +1000
                      >
                      >Attached is a couple of suitable circuits designed by Wilf.
                      >
                      >David

                    • Ben Hitchcock
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 24, 2000
                        Hi,

                        You can go here:
                        http://www.egroups.com/group/beam
                        to view the group over the web. Attachments are decoded and displayed on
                        your screen, so if you find a particularly tasty circuit you can go to
                        this page and see what all the fuss is about.

                        hth,
                        Ben

                        http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben