The Screensavers

  • olsonla
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      At 11pm Central Time Wednesday night I saw you guys having a visit on
      The Screensavers. I could not tell who the stars were, you guys or
      the BEAM robots you brought along. Congratulations.

      Lee
    • Juan A Cubillo
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hello group,
        I'm going to build my next fotovore. So far, I only
        made Freds. Is it worth using 2 of my 1381s to build a
        photovore? I only have 4 of them so I'm trying to save
        them...

        =====
        Juan Cubillo
        CostaRican Beamer!!!
        costaricabeam.solarbotics.net

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hello Juan,

          Try the Miller Photopopper circuit:

          http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_popper_miller.html

          It worked well on the breadboard using the Panasonic SC2433, 0.33F
          storage capacitor, 0.47uF timing capacitor, and the 1381-C trigger.
          Have not had a chance to solder it all together. However, in our
          testing, the MSE greatly out performs the Fred SE. Therefore, I think
          that you will be pleased with the results.

          J Wolfgang Goerlich

          Juan A Cubillo wrote:
          > I'm going to build my next fotovore. So far, I only
          > made Freds. Is it worth using 2 of my 1381s to build a
          > photovore? I only have 4 of them so I'm trying to save
          > them...
        • peterman921
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
            well they wanted the robots not us. and I kinda choked even after
            rehearsing just 15 minutes before we went on. they asked different
            questions than we had rehearsed and I just blurted some stuff out not
            even sure what exactly I said :) but it was fun and they want us back
            when we finish some of our other projects. so I'll have to finish my
            giant hexapod and get back down there befor october

            Jon

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
              Congrats, wish I could see it!

              Jon wrote:
              > ... I'll have to finish my giant hexapod and get back down
              > there befor october ...

              How giant is giant? Going for the record size in Beam robotics?

              J Wolfgang Goerlich
            • Gord
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                I'v built mostly Freds and I'm quite happy with them. I'v also built a
                couple of 1381 poppers. I find the 1381 poppers will pop is lower light
                than the Fred and track light a bit better. (I get the odd fred that
                will head for a wall of the RJP where the 1381 popper finds the light.
                Gord

                --- Juan A Cubillo <jacubilloro2000@...> wrote:
                > Hello group,
                > I'm going to build my next fotovore. So far, I only
                > made Freds. Is it worth using 2 of my 1381s to build a
                > photovore? I only have 4 of them so I'm trying to save
                > them...
                >

                > =====
                > Juan Cubillo
                > CostaRican Beamer!!!
                > costaricabeam.solarbotics.net

              • Stephen Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Richard Caudle came up with a variation that used only one 31464 (chloroplast) for a Photopopper.
                  here:

                  Could this be adapted for a single 1381?

                  DrewB

                  Juan A Cubillo wrote:
                  > I'm going to build my next fotovore. So far, I only
                  > made Freds. Is it worth using 2 of my 1381s to build a
                  > photovore? I only have 4 of them so I'm trying to save
                  > them...

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Gord
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                    I think the 31464 is like 2 voltage monitors in one chip.
                    I have a HPV board that was given to me. ( Thanks Steve) And I'm not
                    thrilled with it. I have to use 2 solarcells to do the job of one using
                    a fled or 1381 based SE. Even using the suggested resistors I don't
                    get a pop every eight seconds. ( I'm not using the 10000uf cap I'm
                    using a 3300 and a 4700 cap 8900uf total)
                    And I don't get that big a pop either. (probally due to the lower uf
                    count) If I culd set it to pop at 7.4V (where it does) and reset at 2
                    or 3 volts I'd get a better pop.

                    I'm not positive but I think the only way you culd make a popper using
                    only one 1381 would be if you built a BBPV or the popper Frans Storms
                    designed or one of Wilf's 240 based P-vores. (All us a 240** chip) and
                    use the 1381 SE to power them.

                    Gord

                    --- Stephen Brown <psycholist2000@...> wrote:
                    > Richard Caudle came up with a variation that used only one 31464
                    > (chloroplast) for a Photopopper.
                    > here:
                    > http://frankendaddy.solarbotics.net/hpv.html
                    >
                    > Could this be adapted for a single 1381?
                    >
                    > DrewB

                  • DrewB
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                      Well I guess I'm just too sturborn sometimes.

                      Introducing "Lil' Miller"
                      I got this to work on my breadboard
                      (see the files section "Lil Miller");-)

                      If both photodiodes get an even amount of light both motors turn! It
                      will turn each motor in proportion to the amount of light that the
                      photodiode on that side gets.

                      Thank you FrankenDaddy,
                      DrewB

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Gord <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                      > I think the 31464 is like 2 voltage monitors in one chip.
                      > I have a HPV board that was given to me. ( Thanks Steve) And I'm
                      not
                      > thrilled with it. I have to use 2 solarcells to do the job of one
                      using
                      > a fled or 1381 based SE. Even using the suggested resistors I
                      don't
                      > get a pop every eight seconds. ( I'm not using the 10000uf cap I'm
                      > using a 3300 and a 4700 cap 8900uf total)
                      > And I don't get that big a pop either. (probally due to the lower
                      uf
                      > count) If I culd set it to pop at 7.4V (where it does) and reset
                      at 2
                      > or 3 volts I'd get a better pop.
                      >
                      > I'm not positive but I think the only way you culd make a popper
                      using
                      > only one 1381 would be if you built a BBPV or the popper Frans
                      Storms
                      > designed or one of Wilf's 240 based P-vores. (All us a 240** chip)
                      and
                      > use the 1381 SE to power them.
                      >
                      > Gord
                      >
                      > --- Stephen Brown <psycholist2000@y...> wrote:
                      > > Richard Caudle came up with a variation that used only one 31464
                      > > (chloroplast) for a Photopopper.
                      > > here:
                      > > http://frankendaddy.solarbotics.net/hpv.html
                      > >
                      > > Could this be adapted for a single 1381?
                      > >
                      > > DrewB

                    • Adi Shavit
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                        Hey Drew,

                          I guess this is also a 1-chip (1381) Photovore, or is it a 0-chip Photovore?
                        Cool design. I think I'll try it.
                        ;-)

                        Adi
                        Well I guess I'm just too sturborn sometimes.

                        Introducing "Lil' Miller"
                        I got this to work on my breadboard
                        (see the files section "Lil Miller");-)

                        If both photodiodes get an even amount of light both motors turn! It
                        will turn each motor in proportion to the amount of light that the
                        photodiode on that side gets.

                        Thank you FrankenDaddy,
                        DrewB

                        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Gord <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                        > I think the 31464 is like 2 voltage monitors in one chip.
                        > I have a HPV board that was given to me. ( Thanks Steve) And I'm
                        not
                        > thrilled with it. I have to use 2 solarcells to do the job of one
                        using
                        > a fled or 1381 based SE.  Even using the suggested resistors I
                        don't
                        > get a pop every eight seconds. ( I'm not using the 10000uf cap I'm
                        > using a 3300 and a 4700 cap 8900uf total)
                        > And I don't get that big a pop either. (probally due to the lower
                        uf
                        > count) If I culd set it to pop at 7.4V (where it does) and reset
                        at 2
                        > or 3 volts I'd get a better pop.
                        >
                        > I'm not positive but I think the only way you culd make a popper
                        using
                        > only one 1381 would be if you built a BBPV or the popper Frans
                        Storms
                        > designed or one of Wilf's 240 based P-vores. (All us a 240** chip)
                        and
                        > use the 1381 SE to power them.
                        >
                        > Gord
                        >
                        > --- Stephen Brown <psycholist2000@y...> wrote:
                        > > Richard Caudle came up with a variation that used only one 31464
                        > > (chloroplast) for a Photopopper.
                        > > here:
                        > > http://frankendaddy.solarbotics.net/hpv.html
                        > >
                        > > Could this be adapted for a single 1381?
                        > >
                        > > DrewB

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Tom Gray
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                          Juan

                          Yes, it's worth it.  Fred is a neat little bot but the 1381 versions (especially the Miller) are more active, moving farther and faster.

                          Keep BEAMing and dreaming
                          Tom