Re: Where does one get started?

  • Mike Scharf
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Jeffrey!
      Welcome to BEAM Robotics! This is an excellent starting point in your
      adventures. BEAM Robotics is a wonderfully simple approach to robotics
      which I have found to be perfectly suited to my abilities. If you'd
      like to learn about how you can get started, go to:

      http://www.solarbotics.net - Library of information
      http://www.solarbotics.com - Supplier of parts

      This should be enough to get the ball rolling! Solarbotics has an
      awesome library of all things BEAM. Also check out my site ;)
      at

      http://www.robobugs.net

      Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!

      Mike Scharf

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey D. Shaffer" <jds@u...> wrote:
      > Hello all, new member here. I hate to be one to ask such a general
      question, but
      > being new to robotics, where should I begin? What should I read?
      What should I study?

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
        > I hate to be one to ask such a general question, but being new
        > to robotics, where should I begin? What should I read? What
        > should I study? What projects should I try?

        Welcome aboard! It is great to see some new blood. No need to
        disparage yourself about asking general questions. The great thing
        about this group is that both the beginner and the expert are equally
        represented.

        My recommendation on reading is to start with the following three
        books. Junkbots will give you a terrific introduction into the Beam
        philosophy and provide several practical projects. Absolute Beginners
        covers some beginner questions not answered in Junkbots (such a
        breadboarding), and gives a good run down on who's who in robotics
        research. After you have cut your teeth on both of these books, you
        might be hungering for some details and formulas. David Cook's Robot
        Building book is a good follow up as it goes into incredible depth on
        key topics such as batteries, motors, and LEDs.

        My recommendation on building is as follows: the solaroller, the
        Herbie, light-seeking head, 2-motor walker, and BeamAnt from the
        Junkbots book. The 1-motor walker and the CD-bot from Absolute
        Beginners. If you are like me, you might want to skip the
        microprocessor on the CD-bot and put on a breadboard instead.
        Finally, the Sandwich line-follower from Robot Building.

        Incidentally, if you are into robot competitions, then you should
        check out the Eastern Canadian Robot Games (www.robotgames.ca). The
        solaroller, walker, and Sandwich line-follower robots are all
        competition-ready.

        Hope that helps,

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        Related Links:

        "Junkbots, Bugbots, and Bots on Wheels" by Dave Hrynkiw
        http://junkbots.solarbotics.net

        "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Building Robots" by Gareth Branwyn
        http://www.streettech.com/robotbook/

        "Robot Building for Beginners" by David Cook
        http://www.robotroom.com/RBFB.html
      • Gord
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Jeffrey
          Welcome to the group.
          www.Solarbotics.net has a huge amount of info.
          www.Solarbotics.com great kits and parts.
          http://www.solarbug.com/solar.html has a great tutorials and lots of
          parts.
          www.bugnbots is where I buy a lot of my parts.

          www.robotgames.ca if you want information on robot competition in
          eastern Canada

          www.robotgames.com if your in the west.

          That should get you started.

          Gord

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • Jeffrey D. Shaffer
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
            Thanks, everyone, for the useful information! Wow. Lots of books to begin with! I had
            also been recommended "Mobile Robots" although that book seems to be a bit more
            complex. I'll definitely look into getting the "junkbots" book as everyone seems to
            give it high marks, here and elsewhere.

            Thank you again, and thank you for welcoming me to the group. I'll probably lurk for
            a while, though I hope to become more active as time goes on.

            Cheers,

            Jeffrey
          • Tom Gray
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
              Check out http://faq.solarbotics.net/FAQ.html#q17  (and all the other faq there)

              Keep BEAMing and dreaming
              Tom

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                Jeffery

                the junkbots book is great, but you must visit the bug fixes at junkbots.solarbotics.com... there are a lot of small errors which snuck into the pics.

                while you are waiting for the book, they have a sample chapter posted on the same site on how to make a turbot... give that a try.

                -john-isaac
                good luck building

                "Jeffrey D. Shaffer" <jds@...-gu.ac.jp> wrote:
                Thanks, everyone, for the useful information! Wow. Lots of books to begin with! I had
                also been recommended "Mobile Robots" although that book seems to be a bit more
                complex. I'll definitely look into getting the "junkbots" book as everyone seems to
                give it high marks, here and elsewhere.

                Thank you again, and thank you for welcoming me to the group. I'll probably lurk for
                a while, though I hope to become more active as time goes on.

                Cheers,

                Jeffrey

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Jeffrey D. Shaffer
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Thanks again, everyone, for the input. I just ordered the Junkbots book as well as
                  "Mobile Robots" which I've had my eye on for a while (despite being seemingly
                  advanced.)

                  Here's hoping to get some good knowledge and experience out of them!

                  Cheers and Thanks,

                  Jeffrey