Re: [beam] Looking for an oscilloscope

  • Richard Piotter
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5 4:36 PM
      If you are not too worried about a high upper end for the bandwidth
      (100 KHz or less), and already have a Gameboy laying around, you might
      try this one. I've bought about $30-40 in parts, plus, $14 for the
      EPROM chip, $8 for the PC Board, and $8 for a PC software disk that
      includes a program for capturing screenshots or data.

      For the size and the price, it's not too painful to build, so long as
      you only need 100 KHz Bandwidth. Another benefit is if you have a
      Gameboy Pocket, the thing is extraordinarily small, and 100% portable!
      I'm talking pants pocket, maybe even shirt pocket small. As for the
      cables, they suggest chopping the ends off of a pair of good cables and
      installing stereo earphone style connectors. I just bought a rumble
      pack equipped Gameboy game cartridge and modified it to fit the
      cartridge. You'll have to glue it shut, since the screw posts are in
      different places for those and must be filed, but the battery
      compartment cover acts as a great port to access the calibration pots!
      The added space on the end of the rumble cartridge allows me to just
      install pain old BNC connectors on the cartridge. I'll post pictures
      when I get the last three parts and finish...

      That and probes... Geez are those expensive, and ya just need 'em no
      mater what kinda scope to get, be it PC, portable, Gameboy, or regular.
      I have a pair of probes, but they have had troubles. Probably a broken
      wire in the coax cable. at least it looks good with them attached. I
      really don't have to worry about probes till I finish.

      Oh, and if you're opposed to building it, then you can buy them
      preassembled.

      Richard Piotter

      Begin forwarded message: