Sound Output from Nv Neuron

  • Greybeard
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hello, All

      I have been having fun linking a hexcore to Wilf's BEAM sound
      effects circuit--the two influence each other and make a most
      interesting mix of sounds.

      That got me interested in having sounds as output indicators, where
      we customarily use LEDs. The result is posted at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/files/Greybeard's%20Stuff/

      I'm not entirely happy with it, as it runs at 80 mA even when it's
      quiet (the 6-Nv ladder [some people call this a 'spinal cord'?] uses
      34 mA by itself) and it makes some pretty raspy square-wave type
      beeps, but it DOES work. I am always happy when I design even more-
      or-less works! 8^D Don't ask me *how* it works, I'm not there yet.
      I did discover that the diodes (1N418 type) are needed to keep the
      sound oscillator from resetting the process in the spinal cord. I
      also found that I couldn't use the last Nv in the ladder to hook to
      a sound or it sent the ladder into a frenzy, don't know why though.

      You can tell where I'm headed--a noisy bot that chirps and chortles
      and whistles and snorts as it goes about its life. What I need is
      something of the cheerful whistles and warbles of Wilf's sound
      effects that will turn on in response to a Nv output, and remain
      quiet otherwise, without eating current. (I don't ask for much!)

      Now's the time to point out that this was already done by somebody
      back in 1999... all I need is the reference!

      Thanks in advance for any help I get

      Keep BEAMing and dreaming
      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
        Beam Bird circuit is mentioned here but sometime earlier as well

        and

        The circuit you designed works but has some problems, yes?

        May I make some suggestions?

        > I have been having fun linking a hexcore to Wilf's BEAM sound
        > effects circuit--the two influence each other and make a most
        > interesting mix of sounds.
        >
        > That got me interested in having sounds as output indicators, where
        > we customarily use LEDs. The result is posted at
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/files/Greybeard's%20Stuff/

        ---
      • Greybeard
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          > May I make some suggestions?
          >
          > wilf

          Please do! And can someone please tell me how to get on alt-beam?
          Thanks
          Tom
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
            Hi Tom,

            Well here is a quicky mod of your original circuit that should have much
            lower current.

            The audio oscillator modification fixes the high frequencies that were the
            main problem. The resistor cap values may be changed to suit. I suggest
            much larger resistors and smaller caps to reduce power.

            The pushbutton input now gives one clean pulse to start the sequencer. A
            logic start signal can be coupled via the diode.

            The 3 diode OR gate is changed to give a good logic signal for the tristate
            pin.

            It should be much better behaved so that there is no disturbance of the
            sequencer operation allowing for more control resistors.

            As you have probably found ourt by now, there are plenty of designs that
            make noise but only a few are pleasing to the ear and even fewer are worth
            listening to for any length of time. Those are the keepers.

            I have no idea what your circuit sounds like so a small (?) audio file to
            the file section might be nice.

            > Please do! And can someone please tell me how to get on alt-beam?
            > Thanks
            > Tom

            ---
          • Greybeard
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2003
              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Wilf Rigter" <wrigter@d...> wrote:
              > Hi Tom,
              >
              > Well here is a quicky mod of your original circuit

              Many thanks, Wilf; I will try it this weekend.

              > I have no idea what your circuit sounds like so a small (?) audio
              file to the file section might be nice.

              It will never replace the piano! As I said, respy. I was playing
              with your sound effects circuit (still looking for the original post
              of that!) and will try switching its enable pins with the mod you
              have here to see what I get.

              Keep BEAMing and dreaming
              Tom