Re: [beam] Greetings from Canada

  • Jesse Jimenez
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
      Thanks Wilf......

      I sure do 'preciate Y'ALLS courtesy....

      Jesse

      say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a motor.....Im sure there are many ways, but I just wanna know the simplist....I figure maybe voltage used by motor / voltage supplied to motor....somehow that does not sound to convincing to me, ....dont know if this is accurate or not...but hey its a guess.
      thanks

      Jesse

      wilf_nv <wrigter@...> wrote:
      Hi y'all,

      Happy fourth of July to all our friends in the USA and enjoy a great
      long weekend, eh!

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
        Wilf wrote:
        > Happy fourth of July to all our friends in the USA and enjoy a
        > great long weekend, eh!

        Thanks, Wilf! I hope you enjoyed Canada Day as much as I enjoyed
        Independence Day.

        jwg
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
          Jesse wrote:
          > say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a
          > motor.....

          Have you looked at Conan the Librarian's page on testing gear motors?
          Here is the URL:

          http://www.solarbotics.net/library/pieces/parts_mech_grmotors_compar.h
          tml

          On that page, Conan tests current at specific voltages, and "motor
          speed (deg / sec) given by a particular power consumption (mW)."

          Regards,

          J Wolfgang Goerlich
        • Jesse Jimenez
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
            yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

            Jesse

            J Wolfgang Goerlich <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:
            Jesse wrote:
            > say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a
            > motor.....

            Have you looked at Conan the Librarian's page on testing gear motors?
            Here is the URL:

            http://www.solarbotics.net/library/pieces/parts_mech_grmotors_compar.h
            tml

            On that page, Conan tests current at specific voltages, and "motor
            speed (deg / sec) given by a particular power consumption (mW)."

            Regards,

          • Gord
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
              --- Jesse Jimenez <wizrdvahhs@...> wrote:
              > yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something
              > else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have
              > a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

              I think Ben said. to test a motor give the shaft a spin with your
              fingers. If it moves smothy not with little clicks it could be good.

              Spin the shaft and see how much it turns before stopping. The more it
              turns the better the motor. Then connect the motor leads and spin. A
              good motor will have some resistance and will not spinn much .

              Connect two motors leads together and spin one. Watch the other motor
              the more it spins the better that type of motor is. ( I think this
              only works with gear motors though, Unless you can spin the motor shaft
              relly fast with just your fingers.

              Hope this helps.

              Gord

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Jesse Jimenez
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
                thanks

                Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:

                --- Jesse Jimenez <wizrdvahhs@...> wrote:
                > yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something
                > else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have
                > a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

                I think Ben said. to test a motor give the shaft a spin with your
                fingers. If it moves smothy not with little clicks it could be good.

                Spin the shaft and see how much it turns before stopping. The more it
                turns the better the motor.   Then connect the motor leads and spin. A
                good motor will have some resistance and will not spinn much .

                Connect two motors leads together and spin one. Watch the other motor
                the more it spins the better that type of motor is.  ( I think this
                only works with gear motors though, Unless you can spin the motor shaft
                relly fast with just your fingers.

                Hope this helps.

                Gord

              • Conan the Librarian
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
                  Jesse,

                  Are you trying to rate a regular DC motor or a gear motor? If it's a gearmotor, you
                  don't need a mouse.

                  Conan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
                    nah, a regular dc motor.....thanks