Greetings from Canada

  • wilf_nv
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
      Hi y'all,

      Happy fourth of July to all our friends in the USA and enjoy a great
      long weekend, eh!

      wilf
    • Jesse Jimenez
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
        Thanks Wilf......

        I sure do 'preciate Y'ALLS courtesy....

        Jesse

        say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a motor.....Im sure there are many ways, but I just wanna know the simplist....I figure maybe voltage used by motor / voltage supplied to motor....somehow that does not sound to convincing to me, ....dont know if this is accurate or not...but hey its a guess.
        thanks

        Jesse

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
          Wilf wrote:
          > Happy fourth of July to all our friends in the USA and enjoy a
          > great long weekend, eh!

          Thanks, Wilf! I hope you enjoyed Canada Day as much as I enjoyed
          Independence Day.

          jwg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
            Jesse wrote:
            > say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a
            > motor.....

            Have you looked at Conan the Librarian's page on testing gear motors?
            Here is the URL:

            http://www.solarbotics.net/library/pieces/parts_mech_grmotors_compar.h
            tml

            On that page, Conan tests current at specific voltages, and "motor
            speed (deg / sec) given by a particular power consumption (mW)."

            Regards,

            J Wolfgang Goerlich
          • Jesse Jimenez
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
              yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

              Jesse

              J Wolfgang Goerlich <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:
              Jesse wrote:
              > say, by the way, would you know how to judge the efficiency of a
              > motor.....

              Have you looked at Conan the Librarian's page on testing gear motors?
              Here is the URL:

              http://www.solarbotics.net/library/pieces/parts_mech_grmotors_compar.h
              tml

              On that page, Conan tests current at specific voltages, and "motor
              speed (deg / sec) given by a particular power consumption (mW)."

              Regards,

            • Gord
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
                --- Jesse Jimenez <wizrdvahhs@...> wrote:
                > yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something
                > else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have
                > a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

                I think Ben said. to test a motor give the shaft a spin with your
                fingers. If it moves smothy not with little clicks it could be good.

                Spin the shaft and see how much it turns before stopping. The more it
                turns the better the motor. Then connect the motor leads and spin. A
                good motor will have some resistance and will not spinn much .

                Connect two motors leads together and spin one. Watch the other motor
                the more it spins the better that type of motor is. ( I think this
                only works with gear motors though, Unless you can spin the motor shaft
                relly fast with just your fingers.

                Hope this helps.

                Gord

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Jesse Jimenez
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2003
                  thanks

                  Gord <gord_1812@...> wrote:

                  --- Jesse Jimenez <wizrdvahhs@...> wrote:
                  > yes, Ive seen it before...that Conan dude is something
                  > else.......just thought there may be a simpler way....as I don't have
                  > a spare mouse to take apart just now.....

                  I think Ben said. to test a motor give the shaft a spin with your
                  fingers. If it moves smothy not with little clicks it could be good.

                  Spin the shaft and see how much it turns before stopping. The more it
                  turns the better the motor.   Then connect the motor leads and spin. A
                  good motor will have some resistance and will not spinn much .

                  Connect two motors leads together and spin one. Watch the other motor
                  the more it spins the better that type of motor is.  ( I think this
                  only works with gear motors though, Unless you can spin the motor shaft
                  relly fast with just your fingers.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Gord

                • Conan the Librarian
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
                    Jesse,

                    Are you trying to rate a regular DC motor or a gear motor? If it's a gearmotor, you
                    don't need a mouse.

                    Conan

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
                      nah, a regular dc motor.....thanks