The one eyed photovore

  • Bill Bigge
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      I made a one eyed photovore the other day using a simple rule. Although
      it was built using a computer controller I thought it might make a good
      BEAM robot if someone can devise a circuit.

      The rule is basically - start to turn (in any direction). If the light
      level goes up do nothing, if the light level goes down then reverse the
      direction of your turn. The result is a robot that wiggles its way
      towards the brightest light in front of it.

      Bill

      -----------------
      Bill Bigge
      Autonomous Systems Lab
      Room 5A23
      Cognitive and Computing Sciences
      Pevensey-II
      Sussex University
      Brighton
      +44 (0)1273 877621
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Bill,

        Check out...

        See the video...
        http://downloads.solarbotics.com/videos/SB-OEH.mpg

        It all started with GrantM here...

        here is a bit of what he says...
        "The circuit is able to differentiate between a rising and falling
        voltage, as soon as a falling voltage is detected the signal to the
        motor is reversed."

        Uncanny!!!

        Neil

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bigge" <wb23@c...> wrote:
        > I made a one eyed photovore the other day using a simple rule.
        Although
        > it was built using a computer controller I thought it might make a
        good
        > BEAM robot if someone can devise a circuit.
        >
        > The rule is basically - start to turn (in any direction). If the
        light
        > level goes up do nothing, if the light level goes down then reverse
        the
        > direction of your turn. The result is a robot that wiggles its way
        > towards the brightest light in front of it.
        >
        > Bill
        >
        > -----------------
        > Bill Bigge
        > Autonomous Systems Lab
        > Room 5A23
        > Cognitive and Computing Sciences
        > Pevensey-II
        > Sussex University
        > Brighton
        > +44 (0)1273 877621
        > -----------------
        > wb23@c...
        > www.cogs.susx.ac.uk
      • Bill Bigge
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          Cool!,
          I did wonder if it had already cropped up ;)

          Bill

          -----------------
          Bill Bigge
          Autonomous Systems Lab
          Room 5A23
          Cognitive and Computing Sciences
          Pevensey-II
          Sussex University
          Brighton
          +44 (0)1273 877621
          -----------------
          www.cogs.susx.ac.uk

          "The circuit is able to differentiate between a rising and falling
          voltage, as soon as a falling voltage is detected the signal to the
          motor is reversed."

          Uncanny!!!

          Neil

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bigge" <wb23@c...> wrote:
          > I made a one eyed photovore the other day using a simple rule.
          Although
          > it was built using a computer controller I thought it might make a
          good
          > BEAM robot if someone can devise a circuit.
          >
          > The rule is basically - start to turn (in any direction).  If the
          light
          > level goes up do nothing, if the light level goes down then reverse
          the
          > direction of your turn.  The result is a robot that wiggles its way
          > towards the brightest light in front of it.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > -----------------
          > Bill Bigge
          > Autonomous Systems Lab
          > Room 5A23
          > Cognitive and Computing Sciences
          > Pevensey-II
          > Sussex University
          > Brighton
          > +44 (0)1273 877621

        • Gord
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
            Anyone know of a Scematic that shows pin numbers?

            Gord

            http://calendar.yahoo.com