.22F cap use

  • Vishy
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
      I have been having a .22F 5.5 V cap for quite some
      time now and have been unable to find a suitable use
      for it. any beam circuits where i might be able to use
      it?

      vishy

      =====
      BEAMINDIAhttp://beamindia.solarbotics.net
      The complete guide to amateur BEAMers

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Ori
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
        You could use it as the storage cap of a pummer, a solarengine of a
        solarroller (long pop), or in a photovore that travels large distances each
        pop.

        Ori

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
          can u guide me to a pummer circuit?
          vishy

          =====

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
            > can u guide me to a pummer circuit?
            > vishy

            Yup! Consider Grant's two pummer circuits:

            Single LED:
            http://www.solarbotics.com/images/BEAM/hi-rez/BEP_apps/BEP01-Standard%20pumm
            er.jpg (The LED gets a voltage doubling, so use a blue LED or a white LED
            there)

            Dual LED:
            http://www.solarbotics.com/images/BEAM/hi-rez/BEP_apps/BEP01-Dual%20Pummer.j
            pg (Note, LED 2 Gets a voltage doubling! Use a blue or white LED for that)

            To use your cap, put it in place instead of the rechargable batteries.

            Ori
          • Vishy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003

              =====

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                oops i got it. the pg of the jpg was not linked

                vishy

                =====

              • APS1986@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Go to solarbotics they have lots of circuits.

                  Adam Shreves
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                    Both LEDs get a "voltage doubling" current pulse in turn. It has a high
                    peak current and then tapers off as the voltage drops below the intrinsic
                    forward voltage across the LEDs.

                    I like to think of it as a pummmmmpppppp action.

                    Actually when you think about it, the maximum "available" voltage rise
                    across the LEDs is 2Vcc - intrinsic LED voltage. Available means if the LEDs
                    were not there to clamp the voltage and the intrinsic voltage (~1.4V) is the
                    forward voltage drop of the LED at very low current which prevents the
                    1000uF cap from fully charging.

                    In the attached schematic, I show a slightly revised version of the original
                    LED pump circuit with waveforms. The TP3/2 waveforms is idealized since it
                    assumes there is a long enough time for the 1000uF capacitor to fully charge
                    between LED pulses. The 100ohm resistor is the additional parallel charging
                    path to avoid the intrinsic LED voltage drop which normally prevents the cap
                    to be fully charged. With the LEDs shown in the circuit, the +/- 5V peak
                    will in fact be limited to +/- 3V which is the (high current) forward
                    voltage drop of the LED and the voltage drop across the HCMOS output
                    transistors. The full +/-5V output voltage would be generated across the
                    resistor if the LEDs were removed and the pulse frequency was low.

                    Remember the TP2/3 voltage is measure across the LEDs/resistors and not with
                    respect to ground

                    Hope that helps to visualize the Dual LED pummmmping mechanism.

                    > (Note, LED 2 Gets a voltage doubling! Use a blue or white LED for that)

                    ---
                  • Jonathan Challinger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
                      just copy the entire link