Re: [beam] materials

  • Ryan W
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      This may or not work, but my fiance wanted to get a
      special spatula made by williams and sonoma.
      supposedly it's tested to 1000 deg F without melting.
      it's some sort of silicone based material. flexible,
      non-conductive, heat resistant, easy to cut. check it
      out.

      Ryan

      --- Jonathan Challinger <Jonathan@...> wrote:
      > where can i find something that doesn't conduct, is
      > heat resistant (like
      > soldering-iron-for-20-secs type heat resistant), and
      > cuts easily with a
      > knife.
      > i cant think of anything...

      =====
      ICQ = 114482910

      http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • Drew Brown
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        I work as a cook, I've seen and used these spatula(s).
        They normally have a red handle as opposed to the white handled not-built-for-heat spatula(s). After 5 resturants, this seem to be an industry standard. They can take being submerged in 350 deg. F oil/grease for at least an hour. Come to think of it, I have never seen one with a melted handle or head, and I would leave these in or on the pot (nothing special) they were used with as it heated. Parts ared a rigid plastic handle (1" wide x 8" long 1/4" thick) and a rubber squeege type head (3" wide x 4" long with a big curve cutting one corner, I'm sure you know the shape) All measurements are from memory so they may not be exact. I had not considered using them, but they do have some great properties.Sounds like a worthy candidate for an experiment.

        and I never thought my knowledge as a cook would apply to BEAM, b :-)
        DrewB

        This may or not work, but my fiance wanted to get a
        special spatula made by williams and sonoma.
        supposedly it's tested to 1000 deg F without melting.
        it's some sort of silicone based material.  flexible,
        non-conductive, heat resistant, easy to cut.  check it
        out.

        Ryan

        --- Jonathan Challinger <Jonathan@...> wrote:
        > where can i find something that doesn't conduct, is
        > heat resistant (like
        > soldering-iron-for-20-secs type heat resistant), and
        > cuts easily with a
        > knife.
        > i cant think of anything...

        =====