Good kits and bad motors (Re: Tank/Caterpillar Tracks Needed)

  • Conan the Librarian
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      Cliff,

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <droidmakr@y...> wrote:
      > I picked up the Tamiya "Tracked Vehicle Chassis Kit" as a
      > platform for a project my son was working on. It comes with
      > a gear motor kit that can be assembled and used to drive the
      > tracks together (forward / backward no turning)
      >
      > I picked up their "Twin-Motor Gearbox Kit" which mounts
      > nicely to the Tracked Vehicle, and allows the tracks to be
      > driven separately...
      >
      > The motors are not efficient, but the kits were very good for
      > teaching my son about gear motors and tracked drives.

      I'd agree with you on both counts -- handy and educational kits for
      kids, REALLY BAD motors (particularly for BEAM usage). I'll put test
      data for the Tamiya motors (and others like them) in the SB.net
      reference library just as soon as I figure out how to organize it.

      FWIW, I've tested a number of gearmotors whose data never made it
      to a webpage since the motors in question are such junk. Right now
      I'm trying to decide between hosting data on bad motors in a new
      "Gearmotor Hall of Shame" (or more charitably, "Conan's Home for
      Wayward Gearmotors"?) vs. recategorizing all the gearmotors I've
      tested via the Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western" method (Good,
      Bad, Ugly).

      Thoughts, anyone?

      Conan
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        Conan the Librarian wrote:
        > I'm trying to decide between hosting data on bad motors in a new
        > "Gearmotor Hall of Shame" (or more charitably, "Conan's Home for
        > Wayward Gearmotors"?) vs. recategorizing all the gearmotors I've
        > tested via the Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western" method (Good,
        > Bad, Ugly).

        My vote goes for the Clint Eastwood method, for two reasons. One,
        it's one of my favorite movies. Not much of a technical reason, but,
        hey, it is a reason to vote. Two, it is easier for the reader to
        distinguish which motors are good, and which are not. "Wayward
        Gearmotors" is clever, but takes more thought to and thus more time.

        There are my thoughts,
        J Wolfgang Goerlich
      • John Simmons
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003

          Go to Walgreens for some BEAUTIFUL tracked vehicles for $9.99. They are the yellow New Bright toys I've mentioned many times before.      John S. the Laminar Gerbil