Re: [beam] Symet troubles

  • michael.hirtle@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 5:18 PM
      From how you described how yours works I don't think all symets work like that, I have built three so far and all have worked, each time I altered the design trying to find out what works best on a symet, I found that having the motor move only 1 or 2 cm a pop works best so the symet can have more of a chance of flipping over on to another of its sides to make its movement appear more random.
      making a symet with a flat motor, like the walkman motors, can have advantages and disadvantages, the flater the motor means the weight is spread out over a wider surface and will not flit over by its self, but the motor is usually heavier and too power hungary, having a elongated motor like a pager motor means the symet will be top heavy and will usually stay on one of its sides and not lean on different sides and has a chance of flipping over, the advantages to this type of motor is they consume less power and are much lighter.
                                                                 Joel. M. Hirtle
      turtletek@... wrote:
      Oh, I don't think it was working improperly. I'm pretty sure all symets are
      pretty much like mine. What? You say your single SE on your symet does more
      than move it forward? I think people build symets because they are easy and
      inexpensive.

      -Brien the TurtleTek

    • cubicle_dweller@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 7:41 AM
        I made it like most symets-I used a tape player motor, and 3x1000 uf
        caps.

        ~ben~

        On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:18:33 -0300 michael.hirtle@... writes:
        > From how you described how yours works I don't think all symets work
        > like that, I have built three so far and all have worked, each time
        > altered the design trying to find out what works best on a symet, I
        > found that having the motor move only 1 or 2 cm a pop works best so
        > the
        > symet can have more of a chance of flipping over on to another of
        > its
        > sides to make its movement appear more random.
        > making a symet with a flat motor, like the walkman motors, can have
        > advantages and disadvantages, the flater the motor means the weight
        > is
        > spread out over a wider surface and will not flit over by its self,
        > but
        > the motor is usually heavier and too power hungary, having a
        > elongated
        > motor like a pager motor means the symet will be top heavy and will
        > usually stay on one of its sides and not lean on different sides and
        > has
        > a chance of flipping over, the advantages to this type of motor is
        > they
        > consume less power and are much lighter.
        > Joel. M.
        > Hirtle
        > turtletek@... wrote:
        >
        > > Oh, I don't think it was working improperly. I'm pretty sure all
        > > symets are
        > > pretty much like mine. What? You say your single SE on your symet
        > does
        > > more
        > > than move it forward? I think people build symets because they are
        > > easy and
        > > inexpensive.
        > >
        > > -Brien the TurtleTek

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!