Re: [beam] resistor color codes

  • Les
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
      Oops!!!! Your absolutely correct.... What was I thinking........

      Sorry 'bout that

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
        Yeah, I have a book that shows four, five, and six band resistors. On the
        five band resistors, the extra band is for reliability by the following
        chart:

        Color Reliability (Failure % in 1000 hours)
        Brown 1%
        Red 0.1%
        Orange 0.01%
        Yellow 0.001%

        Six band resistors, however, are entirely different. Bands 1,2, and 3 code
        for *three* digits of the resistance (like precision metal film
        resistors...I think), the forth band is for the multiplier, fifth for
        tolerance, and the last is for a temperature coefficient. Here are the
        values for the sixth band:

        Color Temp Coef.
        -----------------------
        Brown 100 ppm
        Red 50 ppm
        Orange 15 ppm
        Yellow 25 ppm
        (no idea why the value goes back up again, that's just what a couple books
        that I have say)

        And here is a little to add to the last person's post about the tolerance
        band. In addition to silver and gold, other colors have designated tolerance
        values:

        Color Tolerance %
        -----------------------
        Silver 10%
        Gold 5%
        Brown 1%
        Red 2% (so much for consistency)
        Green 0.5%
        Blue 0.25%
        Purple 0.1%

        Well, all the info is rather superfluous but someone may find it interesting
        or useful.

        Ryan...