sensors

  • Brent D
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hey all.

      I got a Sony car stereo system for parts.(I hope it didn't work!)
      I was looking at the tape reading stuff and saw that it has 2 encoders on
      the shafts the go through the tape to turn it. The sensors are little black
      blocks. I think one sensor is a photodiode but I dont know about the other.
      The shaft was coloured black and silver, alternating between the two. Does
      anyone know what I can do with the sensors?

      Thanks,
      Brent.

    • Drew Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        Possible uses?
        How about a limit switch
        If the parts you have are the 'U' shape I'm thinking of, mount it so that the leg/head (whatever) turns to a point that part of the frame breaks the light path. I've never tried this; it's just a random thought. But that is the first "use" I could come up with.

        "Innovation through dedicaton" (printed on a box at work)
        DrewB
        Most likely a reflective optocoupler of the SMT variety.  Range about 2mm.  Probably used to measure RPM.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 10:17 PM

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4 1:13 PM
            If this is the reflective type and not the beam interrupting type, then it is often used as a paper detector with the white paper reflecting the beam. It can also be used as an edge detector but only on smooth reflecting surfaces mounetd just a few mm above the surface. Some of these units have build in signal amplifiers which have fixed threshold and  detecting distance but others uses a phototransistor output that can be boosted with an external  amplifier to increas the range.