Re: [beam] Chat in 5 minutes

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      Thanks for organizing this, Ori.

      I was on for a couple of hours and really enjoyed the dialog of on PSR3/4 , PIR interfacing, Bit CharG RC control, and Spyder.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        I didn't organize anything! Just posted a note about it, and people showed up. Honest! :)

        The vision discussions were interesting. Wilf said that PIR sensors are a 'close cousin' of electret mics, and that the PIR sensor can easily be substituted for the electret mic in the BEAMSonics circuit. Bruce's new circuit, which uses part of the BEAMSonics circuit, blocks out the signal when the head starts moving (to prevent self triggering), right? I guess you could put PIR sensors into that to make it a motion-following head. Would any modifications to the circuit be necessary?

        Ori

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          Good stuff Ori,

          I think your suggestion of using Bruce's circuit to block self generated PIR output as the head turns is entirely possible.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
            Ori wrote:

            > Bruce's new circuit, which uses part of the
            > BEAMSonics circuit, blocks out the signal
            > when the head starts moving (to prevent self
            > triggering), right? I guess you could put PIR
            > sensors into that to make it a motion-following
            > head. Would any modifications to the circuit be
            > necessary?

            One of my longer term projects is to build a (very large)
            motion-tracking head using PIR sensors. I haven't got much beyond the
            vague concept stage, but I planned on using two sensors pointing in
            different directions with a slight overlap in their fields-of-view.
            Motion in one sensors? Turn in that direction. Motion in both? Don't
            turn. I had not thought in terms of relative degrees of motion, so I
            expected to do it with a much simpler circuit than my sound-tracking
            one. Perhaps I need to research this a little more.

            In any event, the important point is to be sure the "move now" signal is
            blocked until the sensors have time to recover from self-induced
            sensing. One of the PIR sensors I looked at had a short recovery period
            where it would still send an output signal after motion had stopped.
            You'd need to incorporate an additional delay to handle that, but it
            wouldn't be at all difficult.

            I suspect it would be easier to make a PIR head than a sonic head
            because the PIR system is line-of-sight, while the sonic system isn't.

            Bruce