Re: bicore

  • Bruce Robinson
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 21, 2000
      Hi, Simon.

      I don't know of any '240 chip that will handle 300 mA.

      The H-bridge shown at Beam-online can handle about 100 mA comfortably.
      You can easily modify it for more current. The middle row of transistors
      stays the same, but the top and bottom row have to be replaced. Use
      PN2222 to replace the 2N3904 transistors, and PN2907 to replace the
      2N3906 transistors. This should let you handle up to 800 mA.

      The replacements are the same size and have the same pinout, so they can
      be directly substituted.

      Bruce
    • Simon Lord
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 22, 2000
        Thanks for the info everyone.

        At 21:15 21/04/00 -0700, you wrote:
        > Hi, Simon.
        >

        > I don't know of any '240 chip that will handle 300 mA.
        >
        > The H-bridge shown at Beam-online can handle about 100 mA comfortably.
        > You can easily modify it for more current. The middle row of transistors
        > stays the same, but the top and bottom row have to be replaced. Use
        > PN2222 to replace the 2N3904 transistors, and PN2907 to replace the
        > 2N3906 transistors. This should let you handle up to 800 mA.
        >
        > The replacements are the same size and have the same pinout, so they can
        > be directly substituted.
        >
        > Bruce

      • Patrick Pintens
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 18, 2000
          hey y'all,

          I know how the bicore works!!!
          this may sound stupid to some guys, but to me this is great!!!
          If I should make a mistake somewhere, please correct me!

          you start charging one cap, if the voltage, generated by the cap, reaches a
          threshold, the inverter will change its output, thus beginning to charge the
          second cap, while the first one 'releases' it's charge, and so on...

          Is that right?
          Do I got it?

          As for building it, that should be no problem

          C ya dewdz!!!

          Splat http://www.geocities.com/splatje
          (visit me, not much info yet, but sure to come. Any
          help is welcome)
          Icq # 69047038

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 29, 2000
            hello, i am not a newbie, i have been into BEAM for about 2 years,
            and i was a member of the sgi mailing list, but when they changed to
            egroups, i got bumped. i'm back. nobody probably remembers me, but
            here i am. i have a question. i am clean out of 240's, so i was
            wondering about making a bicore out of nand gates or a 555 or
            something. dennison did it with his bitbots, but his site isn't there
            anymore. could somebody help? thanks,
            e.
          • Debra Stewart
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 29, 2000
              could someone please respond? i want to finish this bot tonight. e.
            • Debra Stewart
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 29, 2000
                hello? please! i reallly need this! e.
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 29, 2000
                  Sure! A 74HC00 can make a very nice master slave bicore. 555? Sorry! No can
                  do.

                  wilf

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 29, 2000
                    --- In beam@egroups.com, Wilf Rigter <Wilf.Rigter@p...> wrote:

                    > Sure! A 74HC00 can make a very nice master slave bicore. 555?
                    Sorry! No can
                    > do.
                    >
                    > wilf

                    ok. can i use a ttl chip? or will it not work because of the input
                    protection diode clamps from Vcc to Gnd? if it will work, then how
                    would i wire it? i am not very familiar with nand gates. also, i
                    heard someone say that bruce posted something a long time ago that
                    added the diodes so ttl would work. would you happen to have that?
                    all i need is just a single bicore not a master/slave. thanks, e.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 30, 2000
                      Sorry e.

                      TTL won't work in a suspended bicore circuit because of internal "resistors"
                      connected from the inputs to Vcc. These are not really resistors but current
                      sources and a cap connected to a TTL input will quickly charge up to about
                      3V. It may be possible to null the effect of those internal resistors by
                      using a small resistor (~3.3K for 74LS) from each input to ground (grounded
                      bicore) and by using large capacitors (eg 470uf). No quick fix but why
                      don't you experiment and let us know the results.

                      wilf

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 30, 2000
                        from the look of it, i think i would be better off just buying a
                        hc00, but i might try it. thanks for all your help, e.

                        > TTL won't work in a suspended bicore circuit because of
                        internal "resistors"
                        > connected from the inputs to Vcc. These are not really resistors
                        but current
                        > sources and a cap connected to a TTL input will quickly charge up
                        to about
                        > 3V. It may be possible to null the effect of those internal
                        resistors by
                        > using a small resistor (~3.3K for 74LS) from each input to ground
                        (grounded
                        > bicore) and by using large capacitors (eg 470uf). No quick fix but
                        why
                        > don't you experiment and let us know the results.
                        >
                        > wilf
                      • vladimir
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
                          I have found a new bicore which can drive four motors on a single chip. (i know motor drivers are still neded). I asked ian from beamonline and he said that it was posible to use this circuit as a 5 motor walker. Now here is my question.
                          Where do i attach the waist motor, and what do i have to alter in the schematic? If you understand my question, please send a rough schematic or explanation to me.

                          Thanx for your time
                          "nova" ¦¬Þ
                        • vladimir
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
                            Hello Everybody!!!
                            I got this schematic from beamonline, its a bicore which drives 4 motors on 1 chip. (i know that the motor drivers are needed) I asked ian from beamonline and he said this bicore could be used for a 5 motor walker.
                            My Question is where do you attach the 5th motor and how would you need to alter the schematic.
                            Any resonces are welcome, ecpecialy rough schematics and explanation.
                            Here is the schematic:
                            Thanx for your time,
                            "nova"
                          • Bruce Robinson
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 24, 2001
                              > vladimir wrote:
                              >
                              > I have found a new bicore which can drive four motors on
                              > a single chip ...
                              > ... Where do i attach the waist motor, and what do i
                              > have to alter in the schematic?

                              Your circuit shows 4 independent bicores, each controlling a motor.
                              Personally, I haven't seen this configuration before, and I'm not sure
                              how well it would work -- each motor would sort of do its own thing. I
                              think at the very least, you would have to slave some of the bicores to
                              the others.

                              Normally the 5th motor would be connected between two bicores -- take
                              one output from each and hook the motor between them. This is how Tilden
                              built Walkman (except he used a microcore). But with on connection
                              between the different bicroes to syncronize them, I wouldn't have a clue
                              how you could decide which two bicore connections to use.

                              You will probably have to actually try the circuit. Build your 5 motor
                              robot, breadboard the circuit separately, and then connect the motors to
                              the breadboard with 10 wires which you can connect to different bicore
                              outputs (ribbon cable works well). Then play.

                              Bruce
                            • vladimir
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 24, 2001
                                hey,
                                if you dont like this arangement,
                                what schematic would you recomend for me to use?
                                if its possible can i get a url or schematic for less confusion.

                                thanx
                                "nova"

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                  hello its me again!
                                  i was thinking of using this bicore for a 5 motor walker
                                  but bruce said this was not the best example. I have built a 2 motor walker using the complete walker cirquit from beam online before, but this is a different story.
                                  i found a new schematic on ians site beam online
                                  it is 4 linked bicores for a 4motor walker.
                                  i was wondering where i attach the waist motor on this schematic.
                                  im pretty sure i dont need another bicore. i think it was the between the ouputs of two bicores?
                                  well, what ever, im not sure.
                                  could someone please respond.
                                  any ideas or coments would be axcepted with joy !!! ¦¬Þ

                                  thanx
                                  nova
                                • vladimir

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                      hi, Nova. Sorry for the slow reply -- my internet connection packed it
                                      in for a day and a half.

                                      > if you dont like this arangement, what schematic would you
                                      > recomend for me to use? if its possible can i get a url or
                                      > schematic for less confusion.

                                      Oh, I didn't say I didn't like it, just that I hadn't seen it before. It
                                      would be interesting to try it, just to see what happens. You may have
                                      to add a few resistors to synchronize the bicores, but try it "as is"
                                      first.

                                      One interesting thing about this arrangement is that the suspended
                                      bicore is the most sensitive of all BEAM circuits to electronic noise.
                                      That means if your motors are not overly powerful, when the robot
                                      encounters an obstacle, it will start to take shorter steps. Can you use
                                      this to advantage?

                                      The most important thing, I think, is the mechanical design. How are the
                                      motors going to be oriented? I suspect with this circuit design you will
                                      want the 4 leg motors to be slightly off-vertical. "Walkman", as near as
                                      I can tell, has the leg motors tilted slightly outward -- both to the
                                      sides and back and front as well.

                                      I sugest you build your mechanical walker, build experimental circuits
                                      on the breadboard, and connect the two with a piece of ribbon cable.

                                      Bruce
                                    • vladimir
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                        thanx for the reply bruce!
                                        i needed that.
                                        so you think i should make my walker separate and the circuit on a bread board. then attach the bread board to the walker with long wires, and if this bicore works tidy it up and make an actual circuit.
                                        thats a good idea.
                                        il inform u when im done.
                                        i will do it thi summer because i just baught a new computer and dont have the money, also busy with school and a few other beam projects.
                                        when my experiments are done thoug, i will inform u of the results.

                                        once again thanx
                                        nova

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                                          hi, i was wondering,
                                          i dont think i need a motor driver for this bicore cirquit, do i?
                                          thanx
                                          nova
                                        • Luca Crisi
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                                            vladimir wrote:
                                            hi, i was wondering,i dont think i need a motor driver for this bicore cirquit, do i?thanxnova

                                            YOU DO
                                            These ICs have ZERO power.
                                            The best thing is to attach an HBridge (Transistor, MosFET, or ICs like the L293, which is a double HBridge)

                                            --

                                            I'll be back.
                                            Luca

                                          • Bruce Robinson
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                                              Luca Crisi wrote:

                                              > vladimir wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > hi, i was wondering,i dont think i need a motor driver for this
                                              > > bicore cirquit, do i? thanxnova
                                              >
                                              > YOU DO
                                              > These ICs have ZERO power.

                                              Well, no, not zero. Good enough for a small motor -- say 40 mA or so.

                                              Try using a 74AC240 instead of the HCT version and you can drive up to
                                              100 mA with it.

                                              A point to note with the '240 line drivers -- the output voltage drops
                                              when you load them up. Even when you draw only half their rated current,
                                              the total voltage drop will be about 20 percent.

                                              Bruce
                                            • Mike Robertson
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 16 3:18 PM
                                                why would a bicore favor one motor over the other?
                                              • jonjb2a
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 12, 2008
                                                  I started building my first bicore headbot tonight. I might be using IR emitters or detectors
                                                  for the "eyes.' SO happens I have a surplus of IR emitters (blue looking LEDs). A few are
                                                  salvaged from old TV remotes (quite handy, really). As for the detectors, I have at least a
                                                  couple of those as well. Unfortunately, if I have more than a couple, they are mixed up with
                                                  other LEDs with clear "bodies." I did not have the sense to keep them in a seperate
                                                  compartment. My bad. I also have one or two phototransistors.

                                                  Junkbots, Bugbots and Bots on wheels advises to use any of these, rather than CdS
                                                  photocells. Understood. What I'd like to know is: which sensors have people used and which
                                                  seem to work the best for the purpose? Again, according to the book, red LEDs can also be
                                                  used "in a pinch" but they might not be quite as sensitive as the other sensors. I have plenty
                                                  of red LEDs but figure I'd just as soon try the IR detectors/emitters and transistors before
                                                  noodling with those little beasties.
                                                • Jesse
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 12, 2008
                                                    I have always used photodiodes for great results. IR emitters have to
                                                    be reverse biased to worik as detedtors i believe. basically any Pn
                                                    junction that is light snsitive will act like a switch. you can see
                                                    some of my bots that use them in the photos section, "another album"
                                                    is mine.

                                                    cheers

                                                    --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jonjb2a" <jonjb2a@...> wrote:

                                                    > I started building my first bicore headbot tonight. I might be
                                                    using IR emitters or detectors
                                                    > for the "eyes.' SO happens I have a surplus of IR emitters (blue
                                                    looking LEDs). A few are
                                                    > salvaged from old TV remotes (quite handy, really). As for the
                                                    detectors, I have at least a
                                                    > couple of those as well. Unfortunately, if I have more than a
                                                    couple, they are mixed up with
                                                    > other LEDs with clear "bodies." I did not have the sense to keep
                                                    them in a seperate
                                                    > compartment. My bad. I also have one or two phototransistors.
                                                    >
                                                    > Junkbots, Bugbots and Bots on wheels advises to use any of these,
                                                    rather than CdS
                                                    > photocells. Understood. What I'd like to know is: which sensors
                                                    have people used and which
                                                    > seem to work the best for the purpose? Again, according to the
                                                    book, red LEDs can also be
                                                    > used "in a pinch" but they might not be quite as sensitive as the
                                                    other sensors. I have plenty
                                                    > of red LEDs but figure I'd just as soon try the IR
                                                    detectors/emitters and transistors before
                                                    > noodling with those little beasties.

                                                  • monkey
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 13, 2008
                                                      So can the IR emitters from tv/video remotes be used as detectors?
                                                      I'm not sure the ones i have can be as they don't seem to work on my 555
                                                      photovore.

                                                      D.

                                                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <jess_man_69@...> wrote:

                                                      > I have always used photodiodes for great results. IR emitters have to
                                                      > be reverse biased to worik as detedtors i believe. basically any Pn
                                                      > junction that is light snsitive will act like a switch. you can see
                                                      > some of my bots that use them in the photos section, "another album"
                                                      > is mine.
                                                      >
                                                      > cheers
                                                      >

                                                      > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jonjb2a" <jonjb2a@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I started building my first bicore headbot tonight. I might be
                                                      > using IR emitters or detectors
                                                      > > for the "eyes.' SO happens I have a surplus of IR emitters (blue
                                                      > looking LEDs). A few are
                                                      > > salvaged from old TV remotes (quite handy, really). As for the
                                                      > detectors, I have at least a
                                                      > > couple of those as well. Unfortunately, if I have more than a
                                                      > couple, they are mixed up with
                                                      > > other LEDs with clear "bodies." I did not have the sense to keep
                                                      > them in a seperate
                                                      > > compartment. My bad. I also have one or two phototransistors.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Junkbots, Bugbots and Bots on wheels advises to use any of these,
                                                      > rather than CdS
                                                      > > photocells. Understood. What I'd like to know is: which sensors
                                                      > have people used and which
                                                      > > seem to work the best for the purpose? Again, according to the
                                                      > book, red LEDs can also be
                                                      > > used "in a pinch" but they might not be quite as sensitive as the
                                                      > other sensors. I have plenty
                                                      > > of red LEDs but figure I'd just as soon try the IR
                                                      > detectors/emitters and transistors before
                                                      > > noodling with those little beasties.

                                                    • praetorious
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 13, 2008
                                                        Hey JEsse!
                                                        Good to see you're still alive

                                                        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <jess_man_69@...> wrote:

                                                        > I have always used photodiodes for great results. IR emitters have to
                                                        > be reverse biased to worik as detedtors i believe. basically any Pn
                                                        > junction that is light snsitive will act like a switch. you can see
                                                        > some of my bots that use them in the photos section, "another album"
                                                        > is mine.
                                                        >
                                                        > cheers
                                                      • jonjb2a
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 13, 2008
                                                          -I took the whole thing apart and put it back together again with a new motor. A pair of wire
                                                          clippers (with a mean streak) chomped off the entire ground lead of the old motor so I set
                                                          that one aside for another project. I also removed a couple of resistors (for "dazzler" and
                                                          "dark" effects) because I figured they were adding unnecessary complications to the circuit.
                                                          Then I cleaned up a solder blob mess on the Bicore and rewired it to the new motor, battery
                                                          holder (2 AAA cells), switch and IR detectors. The motor is one of two I found on an old
                                                          cassette player. I'm saving the second motor for another bot. The metal frame which used to
                                                          hold both motors is useful for this particular headbot. So happens I have yet to finish the
                                                          whole thing but am glad at least the circuit itself works.