Questions about Wilf's UServo3 walker

  • Bernard Nazari
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Hi All,
      Well, yet again Wilf amazes us with another wonderful design. I got he
      model working just fine on the prototype board, but when I took it to a
      PCB, it had a tendency to hiccup with the servos. The don't rotate in
      direction, stop, the rotate in the other direction. I tried to adjust the
      trim caps, but it didn't help. Could it be that the oscillator is picking
      up something that it originally wasn't on the breadboard? Is the non-smooth
      motion for the servos normal? Oh, and to avoid any questions regarding what
      is actually happening, here is what I know so far. The microcore is working
      just fine. I think the original schematic that Wilf put out a few days ago
      had the loop working WAY too fast for my servos, so I changed the cap
      values and it works a lot better now. So the problem seems to be from the
      oscillator that drives the servo. I rotates the motor in one direction just
      fine, but on the trip back, it sort of jumps back and forth a couple of
      times. The motion is almost repetitive, which hints to something being
      wrong with the timing of the oscillator. I have 20 turn 100K pots, so I can
      fine adjust them easily. But all the adjusting in the work didn't stop it
      from being that jerky. I guess the next issue is that I don't really
      understand how this particular servo driver works. Is there some resource I
      can read that explains it better. I know basically what kind of signal a
      servo needs to rotate to a certain angle, but I don't understand how this
      circuit is set up to do that. Anyway, take care and have a great weekend!
      Bernie
      DISCLAIMER: JPL now requires notice in all electronic communication
      that all personal and professional opinions presented herein are my
      own and do not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL.