Re: [beam] bi-lateral switches

  • wilf rigter
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2002
      Here is one example using a CD4016 from a while back:

      This circuit bundles the reversing function with an h-bridge in a "standalone" module.

      Two bilateral switches are used as a mux. The "reverse" input swaps the function of the active high direction inputs from left/right to right/left.

      The other two switches replace the two h-bridge input transistors.

      Actually uses fewer parts than the original Tilden h-bridge.
      If you use Vcc>3V or using a 74HC4066 instead of the CD4016 then add a 220 - 1K resistor in series with the base of each 2N2907.

      Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 11:35 AM
      Subject: RE: [beam] bi-lateral switches

      So, when can we expect to see Solarbotics stocking them?

      In fact it might help matters if there was a basic bot design that demonstrates their use, I mean in the way that a 2 motor walker demonstrates Bicore use and a photopopper demonstrates SE use.

      Any ideas? – I’m keen to get some more ‘advanced’ beam circuits like the BEAMAnt ones I did, produced as PCB’s.

      Incidentally, I can’t remember if I posted this before but I have a short(ish – 5.75Mb) video clip of the advanced BEAMAnts I made a while ago:

      http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/lab/adapt/aslab/robotgallery/movies/BEAMants.MOV

      Bill

      -----------------

      Bill Bigge

      Autonomous Systems Lab

      Cognitive and Computing Sciences

      Pevensey-II

      Sussex University

      Brighton

      +44 (0)1273 877621

      -----------------

      wb23@...

      www.cogs.susx.ac.uk

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2002
        At 12:35 PM 11/17/2002, Bill Bigge wrote:
        >So, when can we expect to see Solarbotics stocking them?\

        If there is serious interest in these IC's we'll get them in. I've played
        with them before, but (like Wilf said), they're under-appreciated. There's
        just sooo many experiments to do!

        Regards,
        Dave
        "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
        that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
        2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
        http://www.solarbotics.com
      • Bruce Robinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2002
          Bill Bigge wrote:

          > I bought a few 74HC4066’s the other day. These
          > are called ‘bi-lateral switches’ and, in very simple
          > terms, are a bit like an electronic relay, i.e. you
          > can activate them and they will pass current in either
          > direction.

          > I’m mentioning this because they might have some neat
          > uses in BEAM robots. ...

          Hi, Bill. I've got one slated to go in my greatly modified learning
          circuit to cut the component count way down. Just have to get enough
          stuff together to make a mail order worthwhile.

          You're right, they ought to have a lot of applications in BEAM robotics.
          I'm really surprised they haven't been used a lot more.

          Bruce