Re: [beam] robot hive

  • Smithy
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002
      Houses use power rated in kilowatt hours.... thats ALOT more than a tiny photocell could collect...
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002

        robotics class? that sounds cool! that beats U.S. highschools where some kids do not even know how to read.

         Ori wrote:

        Robotics is a standard Tech class in Ontario. It's actually being phased
        out, this was the last year. In my school, however, the class will run under
        a different name. It's a Grade 12 course, where the class starts off
        deciding on a contest, and then spend the rest of the semester building a
        big R/C or tethered car to complete the task. Not really robotics, but what
        can you do. The teacher usually gives some options about picking up tennis
        to soccer balls and dropping them in recycling boxes (Too "Canada FIRST"ish
        for my tastes), but I suggested sumo. After I explained it, everyone loved
        the idea, and that's what we did. We had lots of fun! Electrical fires and
        burning 40 A fuses while going forwards then instantly reverse, running our
        12V window wiper motors at 24 V, pushing our 20"X20" (about) machines made
        of wood and steel around.

        I also got a hundred percent in it! That's thanks to our robot winning the
        contest, therefore getting an extra 6% bonus.

        And back to the topic of Ahmet, I experimented a little while watching the
        Robotica marathon. The show is 4X better when it is on mute!

        Ori

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002

          i odont mean the hive is constantly running the house i mean say after a year your power goes out there should be enough energy in there to power u up for while.plus say if there are like 500 photophores? thats aot of energy being put into the hive.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002
            I'm in a program at my highschool called the "Academy". It teaches
            engineering skills and anything else we need to know. For example my
            freshman year I had to take Algebra II, triangular trig, circular
            trig, and geometry just for my math. Then for science Intro to sci-
            tech(a brief program where we just learn to use equipment) and AP
            physics. ANYWAY I was wondering if anybody else has undergone such
            torure...Errr strenuous academic conditioning?
          • Smithy
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002
              Capacitor's have leakage..... you would lose so much current...

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002

                dude. let me put it in a difrent form....

                how often do you get power outages?

                hmm.. well here in california  we get quite a bit. but not all the time maybe one a month.....

                so if the bots are saving energy for a month and theres about 500 bots.... there should be plenty of energy.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2002
                  i still want to come! =)
                  where i live(the tail pipe of North america/backwater
                  hick provices) in the atlantic provinces the best tech
                  class is typing and they wont let us use much of
                  anything electronics cause there worried we'll steal
                  it(they do have reason to belive that some would,
                  though) so i'll be gettin' on the next plane to
                  ontario do you think its too late to sign up for
                  classes?=)
                  on a more serious note, if there are any BEAMers in my
                  neck of the woods, NS, then please email me and let me
                  know because i would like to start some kind of group
                  that wasn't fishing/hunting related in my
                  area/province/region.
                  have a good/okay/great day

                  --- Ori <sbarbut@...> wrote:
                  > Robotics is a standard Tech class in Ontario. It's
                  > actually being phased
                  > out, this was the last year. In my school, however,
                  > the class will run under
                  > a different name. It's a Grade 12 course, where the
                  > class starts off
                  > deciding on a contest, and then spend the rest of
                  > the semester building a
                  > big R/C or tethered car to complete the task. Not
                  > really robotics, but what
                  > can you do. The teacher usually gives some options
                  > about picking up tennis
                  > to soccer balls and dropping them in recycling boxes
                  > (Too "Canada FIRST"ish
                  > for my tastes), but I suggested sumo. After I
                  > explained it, everyone loved
                  > the idea, and that's what we did. We had lots of
                  > fun! Electrical fires and
                  > burning 40 A fuses while going forwards then
                  > instantly reverse, running our
                  > 12V window wiper motors at 24 V, pushing our 20"X20"
                  > (about) machines made
                  > of wood and steel around.
                  >
                  > I also got a hundred percent in it! That's thanks to
                  > our robot winning the
                  > contest, therefore getting an extra 6% bonus.
                  >
                  > And back to the topic of Ahmet, I experimented a
                  > little while watching the
                  > Robotica marathon. The show is 4X better when it is
                  > on mute!
                  >
                  > Ori

                  Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
                • Smithy

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2002
                      alot of the robots we make dont have sense to them and
                      do very little work for us(other than the intense
                      enjoyment). i think i would be cool to build, so lets
                      at least humor him and help him with his design.
                      humor me...
                      sandroid2000

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2002
                        Yeah, but something like having backup power for power outages... you would want the most reliable and most efficient design, right?

                        --- Smithy <Smithy@...> wrote:
                        > Again, Capacitors leak.... why not just have a solar
                        > cell thats larger on your roof? no sense in making a
                        > little robot that wastes 50% of the energy it gets
                        > due to moving back and forth...

                      • Alex Roy
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 3, 2002
                          not if you wanted to test a new idea and have fun, i
                          which case having it kinda work is good enough!
                          getting booed,
                          sandroid2000

                          === message truncated ===

                          Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca