Motor Driver circuit

  • Manfred Schaffran
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 22 7:51 AM
      Hi all,
      i had a few problems with the 74HC240 motor-driver. So i designed a new (?)
      motor driver for higher current output.

      Features:
      - Free half 74 HC 240
      - Flexible control with a jumper
      - Low Cost and easy to build
      - Wide operating voltage range (2V - 6V)
      - High current output
      Up to 800 mA with PN2222 and PN2907 transistors
      - Smoke proof (no self-destructing input-combination)
      - Low current brake mode
      - Ultra low current standby mode (for solar engines)

      Have fun ....

      Manfred
    • wilf_nv
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22 10:10 AM
        Hi Manfred,

        Like minds think alike! I couldn't help but notice some similarity to
        my earlier "HC-Bridge" circuit using 2 wires for forward,
        reverse,standby and brake:

        http://solarbotics.net/wilf/PSHbridge/hcBridge1.gif

        The single input direction control option of the SH-Bridge is a nice
        touch. With fewer components required for a two wire h-bridge control
        circuit with "standby" but without "brake" your circuit wins on that
        count.

        One final comment: for low voltage applications (ie 1.5V or 2.4V),
        the HC-Bridge circuit can be further simplified by using direct
        transistor base drive (no base resistors), since the base current is
        limited by the HC output resistance. That "baseresistorless" design
        was used more recently in the uRover circuit.

        Note that the SH-Bridge uses one HC driver output also for logic
        level inversion so it cannot be used without a base resistor.

        enjoy

        wilf

        --- In beam@y..., "Manfred Schaffran" <Manfred.Schaffran@S...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > i had a few problems with the 74HC240 motor-driver. So i designed a
        new (?)
        > motor driver for higher current output.
        >
        > Features:
        > - Free half 74 HC 240
        > - Flexible control with a jumper
        > - Low Cost and easy to build
        > - Wide operating voltage range (2V - 6V)
        > - High current output
        > Up to 800 mA with PN2222 and PN2907 transistors
        > - Smoke proof (no self-destructing input-combination)
        > - Low current brake mode
        > - Ultra low current standby mode (for solar engines)
        >
        > Have fun ....
        >
        > Manfred
      • wilf_nv
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 22 10:18 AM
          That comment below referred to the two wire control option but the
          original three wire SH-Bridge can certainly be used at 2V without
          base resistors!

          wilf

          --- In beam@y..., "wilf_nv" <wrigter@b...> wrote:

          > Note that the SH-Bridge uses one HC driver output also for logic
          > level inversion so it cannot be used without a base resistor.
          >
          > enjoy
          >
          > wilf
        • wilf_nv
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 22 10:18 AM
            That comment below referred to the two wire control option but the
            original three wire SH-Bridge can certainly be used at 2V without
            base resistors!

            wilf

            --- In beam@y..., "wilf_nv" <wrigter@b...> wrote:

            > Note that the SH-Bridge uses one HC driver output also for logic
            > level inversion so it cannot be used without a base resistor.
            >
            > enjoy
            >
            > wilf
          • Manfred Schaffran
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 23 9:39 AM
              Hi Wilf,
              i just read your wonderful article about motor-drivers. I should have done
              this one week before :-)

              i tested and simulated nearly all kinds of h-bridges (i found about 20-25
              schematics) in PSPICE. i figured out the same problems that you
              explain in your article. The "Tilden h-bridge" has several limitations, that
              i want to avoid:
              - no brake
              - not smoke-proof
              - relative high base current
              - 6 transistors ...
              The "Steve Bolt's h-bridge" was closer to that, what i wanted. But it has a
              problem with 3-state outputs. When the inverter has an high impedance state
              there is an direct current flow from emitter of the PNP transitor throught
              the base-resistors to the emitter of the NPN transitor. So i spent every
              transistor an seperate inverter. And voila!
              All i can say is, this design works perfect.

              It was nearly obvious for me, that someone has discovered this design before
              (... new (?)...). I should have known that it was you :-)
              Just as you state "Like minds think alike!".

              How about a little entry at http://solarbotics.net/library.html ?

              Thank you for your comments.

              manfred
            • conan_thee_librarian
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23 10:46 AM
                Manfred,

                --- In beam@y..., "Manfred Schaffran" <Manfred.Schaffran@S...> wrote:
                > Hi Wilf,
                > i just read your wonderful article about motor-drivers. I should
                have done
                > this one week before :-)
                > It was nearly obvious for me, that someone has discovered this
                design before
                > (... new (?)...). I should have known that it was you :-)
                > Just as you state "Like minds think alike!".
                >
                > How about a little entry at http://solarbotics.net/library.html ?

                It's already in work...

                Conan
                Conan the Librarian (conan.librarian@...)
                Custodian of the BEAM Reference Library at http://solarbotics.net
              • Bruce Robinson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 23 1:06 PM
                  Manfred Schaffran wrote:

                  > ... The "Tilden h-bridge" has several limitations, that
                  > i want to avoid:
                  > - no brake
                  > - not smoke-proof
                  > - relative high base current
                  > - 6 transistors ...

                  Hi, Manfred.

                  Actually, the original Tilden article described a complete smoke-proof
                  H-bridge with Forward - Reverse - Brake - Freewheel capability. He
                  accomplished this by using half of a 74HC139 1-of-4 decoder chip to
                  control the 6-transistor bridge. Most of the people who reproduce
                  diagrams of the "Tilden" H-bridge omit the 74HC139.

                  In one of his many H-bridge expermints, Wilf modified the circuit to
                  greatly reduce the high base current.

                  As for 6 - transistors, that is a nuisance. I don't mind the extra $.20
                  for the extra transistors -- it's the extra 6 holes I have to drill in a
                  PCB to mount them that bother me :)

                  The original Tilden article is great for learning the basic concepts of
                  H-bridge design. Unfortunately, the two sites I bookmarked that had the
                  original article are no longer available. Has anyone else out there
                  mirrored the Beam-Tek pages?

                  Bruce
                • Dave Hrynkiw
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 23 1:29 PM
                    At 02:06 PM 23/06/2002, Bruce Robinson wrote:

                    >The original Tilden article is great for learning the basic concepts of
                    >H-bridge design. Unfortunately, the two sites I bookmarked that had the
                    >original article are no longer available. Has anyone else out there
                    >mirrored the Beam-Tek pages?

                    http://faq.solarbotics.net/

                    "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
                    that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
                    2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
                    http://www.solarbotics.com
                  • xycon_3
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 23 2:02 PM
                      And more specifically:
                      http://faq.solarbotics.net/BiomechMotorBridges.html. It's amazing how
                      easy it is to browse the BEAM Tek site, everthing is just right
                      there. It's fun to post for no apparent reason at all. =)

                      -xycon

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 23 4:57 PM
                        Note in my message

                        I showed a simpler solution to adding a brake to the Tilden/139 h-bridge.

                        I also confused the origins of that circuit. I was under the mistaken impression that Bram Van Zoelen was the first to use the 139 with the Tilden h-bridge but apparently he "merely" simplified it to driving a motor directly with the 139 outputs.

                        All good things do evolve in time and the HC240 base driver h-bridge (hc-bridge or sh-bridge) is now the way to go.