FRED Head V2.1

  • wilf_nv
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31 9:08 AM
      Thanks to Ori for FRED Head V1.0. Unfortunately that design cannot
      work as shown but may work with some resistors in the bases of
      Q3,4 and a few other changes. Will let you try to solve that before
      dropping more hints.

      Meanwhile the FRED Head V2.1 evolves the design in the direction of a
      FLED triggered 3 state flip-flop based on Tilden's h-bridge.
      Note that in the original FRED SE, the FLED current flows through the
      motor, but with bidirectional drive, the motor is no longer
      connected to Vcc. So now the FLED 33K resistors must be connected
      directly to the Vcc. The additional base-emitter drop of Q5,6 raise
      the trigger level by 0.6V. On the other hand, the Q1,2 base resistors
      are now isolated before the circuit triggers and Q1,2 will be much
      more sensitive to the capacitively coupled FLED pulses. The 3K
      resistor was replaced with a 33K which should be more efficient with
      small motors.If too sensitive, add some 100K resistors from the Q1,2
      bases to Vcc. Experiment with smaller Q1,2 base resistor values for
      larger motors. Haven't build V2.1 yet but it looks "good to go".
    • wilf rigter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
        I have replaced the FRED Head V2.1 schematic with an updated schematic ,
        which is nearly identical to the original but more clearly shows the
        h-bridge structure. The circuit works with a pager motor but not with other
        motors. The pager motor has a 7 ohm winding resistance. That required
        changing the feedback resistor to 3K and using better motor driver
        transistors as the peak current is about 300mA. The green FLEDS I used are
        not matched and one required complete blocking of light to change direction
        of rotation but the working prototype proves the principle of the design and
        some refinements are forthcoming.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
          When viewing the image file be sure to press REFRESH to update the
          previously cached image with the same file name.

          > I have replaced the FRED Head V2.1 schematic with an updated schematic ,
          > which is nearly identical to the original but more clearly shows the
          > h-bridge structure. The circuit works with a pager motor but not with
          other
          > motors. The pager motor has a 7 ohm winding resistance. That required
          > changing the feedback resistor to 3K and using better motor driver
          > transistors as the peak current is about 300mA. The green FLEDS I used are
          > not matched and one required complete blocking of light to change
          direction
          > of rotation but the working prototype proves the principle of the design
          and
          > some refinements are forthcoming.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ori
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
            Just wondering - why did you use a pager motor? I'm assuming that you did so
            because you didn't have a geared motor handy, but I guess it doesn't matter.

            So Wilf, would FRED Head V3.0 work? (I would have preferred to have a lower
            number, but I guess you got the 2 section, and 1 is devoted to a miserable
            failure :)

            Ori

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
              Hi Ori,

              Naw, FRED Head V1.x is all yours. Just replace the original which is a
              non-starter. Your V3.0 schematic is not very clear. Are you driving the 240
              inputs with the FREDs and the motors with the 240 outputs like Frans Storm's
              design? Or are you still using the NPN transistors for motor driving? I
              tried to keep the V2.1 circuit design all discrete components in line with
              the original FRED circuit.

              However I am not happy with the FRED trigger mechanism now that I understand
              it's behaviour better. It does not seem very directional and draws a fair
              bit of current prior to triggering. It probably needs fine tuning of the
              component values for a given motor. It certainly is not as predictable as a
              1381 trigger but a bit of randomness can make life more interesting
              especially for roving photovores.

              You're right , the pager motor is not a gear motor and not very suitable
              for a head design. But it was the first motor that reliably worked with
              V2.1 and the component values I posted. Since then I have tried 10K for all
              resistors with the result that now all different motors (BioBug to BG micro)
              seem to work fine. I will probably change design to a single FLED or 1381
              and two PDs to make the head movement a little less wobbly and a bit more
              deterministic. I may drop the FRED label if the design ends up looking like
              something completely different.

            • dkbovaird@aol.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2002
                  That's my idea! The other FRED Head designs of Wilf are, I'm sure, more efficient than what I am proposing, but I want to make a head with a blue PCB :)

                  Bug'N'Bots does have the kit info on their page, now (Click on "Secure Ordering Area" under products), and Ben said that it was OK to make a kit out of his circuit a while ago.

                  Ori

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2002
                    Not having seen the Bug'N'Bots FRED PCB kit info etc, I took the message as a challenge to design a head circuit based on FRED. It was a good learning experience but in the end the design evolved away from FRED and back to FLED, so adapting to the FRED PCB is now a moot point. The FRED circuit looks very nice for Photopopper applications but was a bit too erratic for a head.

                    Just my sixth sense worth.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2002
                      Hi,

                      I was just checking the BEAM list as I do from time to time, and
                      found the discussion about Fred Heads. Wow! I also watched
                      fred_3.mpg, and there was a little fred sauntering around, obviously
                      very well cared for, and happy with his surroundings :-)

                      I would just like to thank the BEAM community for taking this idea
                      and making it go further, especially to Steve for making the kit
                      (yes, he has gotten in contact with me and we settled on a very
                      generous offer so that he could use the circuit in kit form), Andy
                      Pang and Dave Simmonds for being such vociferous Fred advocates,
                      Wilf, for being his inimitable self, and all the people who have
                      written to me asking for help and/or sending pictures of their Freds.
                      I might get a bit crabby some of the time, but be assured that I
                      appreciate every one of those emails!

                      Dave wrote:
                      > even though I didn't see so much as a copyright
                      > notice on Ben's pages.

                      I don't go much for copyright, I prefer to give people the benefit of
                      the doubt. The only stipulation I put on using any of my schematics
                      is that you must put a link to my site next to the schematic. Apart
                      from that, it's free to do with as you please!

                      Now for wilf's post:
                      --
                      However I am not happy with the FRED trigger mechanism now that I
                      understand
                      it's behaviour better. It does not seem very directional and draws a
                      fair
                      bit of current prior to triggering. It probably needs fine tuning of
                      the
                      component values for a given motor. It certainly is not as
                      predictable as a
                      1381 trigger but a bit of randomness can make life more interesting
                      especially for roving photovores.
                      --

                      I had the same problem, when I originally connected the 33k resistor
                      (as you have done) to the positive supply rail. When I moved the

                      Now, for all you newbies having trouble with your Freds, here's a
                      handy trick I use when debugging someone's Fred via email:

                      A) If you can see Fred's eyes flashing (no motor movement), then:
                      1) Grab a piece of wire, and connect one end to the negative
                      terminal on the capacitor. Put your Fred under a lamp, or put him in
                      sunlight, until the eyes start to flash.
                      2) Touch the wire to the base of the PNP transistor.
                      3i) If the motor moved, then the problem is with the 33k resistor,
                      the 3.3k resistor, the 0.22 uF capacitor, or the FLED connections.
                      3ii) If the motor didn't move, then the problem is with the
                      transistor connections.

                      B) If Freds eyes never flash (no motor movement):
                      1) Check the solar panel and capacitor connections.
                      2) Short out the capacitor, and then watch the FLEDs closely. If
                      one flashes faintly, then stops and doesn't flash again, then you may
                      have a bad motor connection.
                      3) If this doesn't happen, then go over the whole robot component by
                      component.

                      C) If the motor makes funny noises but doesn't fire:
                      1) Try putting a 1 uF cap across the motor terminals.
                      2) Try using a physically bigger storage cap (like a 2200 uF 16V).

                      D) If the motor fires strongly once when you put it in light, but
                      then is either weakly on all the time or stops and doesn't pop again:

                      1i) Your solar panel is too big. Put some tape across it or put it
                      inside, to lower the amount of current it can produce.
                      1ii) Your motors are too efficient. Put a 100 ohm resistor across
                      your motor terminals.
                      2) Send me some of your motors or solar panels, because you are
                      obviously too rich, and need to scavenge more (lower quality) parts.

                      Those are some of the more common problems, but I have had some
                      doozies that took a while to figure out what's happening!

                      Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say "Hi", and once again thanks
                      to everyone for being so helpful and polite!

                      Cheers,
                      Ben
                      --
                      www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben
                    • wilf rigter
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 5, 2002
                        OK Ori, your wish is my command.

                        If you have a couple of Bug'n'Bots  FRED PCBs it should be a snap to make a V2.2 FRED Head.

                        Version 2.2 uses two FRED circuits plus some external parts (2 resistors and 4 transistors) to control a bidirectional head motor. I changed some of the FRED component values to make it more efficient but it should work with original values as well.

                        The problem with the earlier FRED Head V2.1 was too much chaotic interaction of the trigger signals of the two FREDs coupled through the low resistance motor winding between them. The new V2.2 circuit  completely isolates the motor from the two FREDs which makes their operation independent and more predictable.

                        I've just done some preliminary test and the V2.2 circuit seems to work. I don't have time to construct a complete head to see how it responds to light and if sensitivity is high enough, etc.

                        enjoy