FRED Head (WAS: Re: [beam] New file uploaded to beam)

  • Ori
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2002
      Here's my idea. What do you guys think? It would be quick to change FRED
      board to this - only 2 jumpers and a low-current gearmotor (BG Micro motor
      should work well, as this is triggering at something around 2.7V). Would it
      work? It would as far as I can tell.

      Ori

      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2002
        Ori,

        I'll say the same thing I do to Kyle when asks me - Try it. Pull out the
        Breadboard and test your idea and tell us what happens. It is simple to
        Breadboard the FRED and easy to add what you have added. I would guess it
        would take less time to build then it took to change the drawing:)

        Later,
        Dave S.

        > Here's my idea. What do you guys think? It would be quick to change FRED
        > board to this - only 2 jumpers and a low-current gearmotor (BG Micro motor
        > should work well, as this is triggering at something around 2.7V). Would
        it
        > work? It would as far as I can tell.
        >
        > Ori

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ori
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2002
          Well, tried it, and it didn't work... but, I'm thinking that it may be
          because of the load. I used a bipolar LED (One way it's red, reverse the
          current and it's green). Could that be the reason that it didn't work?

          Is there any reason that it wouldn't work? Perhaps some diodes in somewhere
          would fix the problem?

          Ori

          > I'll say the same thing I do to Kyle when asks me - Try it. Pull out the
          > Breadboard and test your idea and tell us what happens. It is simple to
          > Breadboard the FRED and easy to add what you have added. I would guess it
          > would take less time to build then it took to change the drawing:)
          >
          > Later,
          > Dave S.

        • Gord Mitchell
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2002
            Hey Ori

            <sbarbut@...> wrote:
            > Well, tried it, and it didn't work... but, I'm
            > thinking that it may be
            > because of the load. I used a bipolar LED (One way
            > it's red, reverse the
            > current and it's green). Could that be the reason
            > that it didn't work?
            >
            > Is there any reason that it wouldn't work? Perhaps
            > some diodes in somewhere
            > would fix the problem?

            I think the charge is going directly to ground try
            placing a 1k resistor between Q3 and Q4 from the
            emitter and ground. Also try using the motor you plan
            on using insted of the led. Tape a long rod onto the
            shaft of the motor so you can see if it moves at all.
            If i does try boosting the caps.

            I tried the diode thing and you always end up
            connecting to ground. :)
            Gord

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • Ori
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2002
              OK, thanks. I don't have the motor yet - BG Micro lens motor, if anyone's
              wondering what I was going to use. I'll let you all know when I do try,
              though!

              Ori

              > > Well, tried it, and it didn't work... but, I'm
              > > thinking that it may be
              > > because of the load. I used a bipolar LED (One way
              > > it's red, reverse the
              > > current and it's green). Could that be the reason
              > > that it didn't work?
              > >
              > > Is there any reason that it wouldn't work? Perhaps
              > > some diodes in somewhere
              > > would fix the problem?
              >
              > I think the charge is going directly to ground try
              > placing a 1k resistor between Q3 and Q4 from the
              > emitter and ground. Also try using the motor you plan
              > on using insted of the led. Tape a long rod onto the
              > shaft of the motor so you can see if it moves at all.
              > If i does try boosting the caps.
              >
              > I tried the diode thing and you always end up
              > connecting to ground. :)
              > Gord

            • Ori
              Message 6 of 7 , May 29, 2002
                Just tried w/ a pager motor (W/O those resistors you recommended, Gord), and
                no go. Perhaps Wilf or Bruce (Or any other circuit wiz) could enlighten me
                (and the rest of the list) about the exact problem. Some simple change (I
                think diodes between the sides or something) should fix the problem.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 29, 2002
                  Hey Ori try the resistors. They will slow the current
                  bleeding to ground long enough to make the motor turn.
                  (I think :) )

                  Gord