Please read, super useful to all BEAMER

  • jerome demers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hey BEAMER.

      This is a super cool article that show you that  you can recycle and get some great stuff while recycling.

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Parts. Recycling is the key word in these days of "earth consciousness," so why not follow along. Electronics components are very durable, and in most cases could be used over and over again. There is always a healthy supply of broken gadgets that contain good ICs, capacitors, coils, motors, and hundreds of other do-dads to keep yourself supplied. All it takes is a little desoldering to get to them. You’ll be helping the environment as well as saving big bucks.
         If you walked into an electronics retailer and bought two 10-uF capacitors, it could easily run you as much as $1. For that dollar, you could have gone to a yard sale and bought an old radio that contained several of the capacitors and a hundred other parts to boot. You might need to take a few screws out and do some desoldering, but who cares when you’re saving money.
         The best place to find devices to gut for parts are yard sales and thrift stores. Another option when looking for old parts is to go to TV/VCR repair shops and ask them if they have any "throw aways." I have picked up $500 VCRs that are loaded with parts, for free. Just use the same method mentioned earlier; tell them you are studying VCR repair and need help. You might have to pull the entire recorder apart to get the parts you need, but there will always be a healthy selection of resistors, capacitors, motors, LED displays, etc.
         If auctions are held in your area, frequent them while building up a parts base. Old TVs, computers, and who knows what else, could be obtained for pennies on the dollar. Try to find the equipment that is not functioning and make a "lot bid" (several items together) if it’s not sold by the end of the auction.
         Switches (particularly pushbuttons) and LEDs offer the greatest savings using those resources. I once bought an old videogame system that had a huge selection of pushbutton switches, a power supply, socketed IC’s and a good case enclosure with keypads for the scant price of $1.50! The unit’s power supply alone costs that much in a store.
         Try as you might, however, scrounging won’t turn up all the parts you need. When that happens, it’s time to use the old postal system. In the back of this magazine are several parts houses that sell surplus or bulk parts at unbelievably low prices. Keep a look out for firms that offer reasonable of free shipping with a minimum order and stock up. Even if you have to buy new or in single quantities, mail order is usually less expensive than buying from local, non-hobbyist friendly distributors.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      I hope this help you in your futur robotics projects.

      Adios amigo

      Jérôme Demers
      "Insectroïdes"
      http://robomaniac.solarbotics.net

    • Bryan Yeung
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        I don't know where everyone lives here but around my
        area we have a Spring Clean Up week where everyone can
        put there junk on the curb (big junk, like ovens and
        musty old love seats) and it will get taken away.
        I've found this is the perfect time to find broken
        tape players, VCRs, etc. not to mention Oven Timer
        Units.

        Another thing to watch for are "Enviro-swaps", which
        is what we have in place of Spring Clean Up in my
        small village. Basically, instead of having to travel
        around town to find stuff, I just have to walk up to
        the firehall where everyone is dropping stuff off.

        Happy scavenging.

        Bryan

        http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/