Re: Best/Most Recent PSH schematic

  • loves_paints
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 24, 2002
      --- In beam@y..., "Ori" <sbarbut@s...> wrote:
      > They're actually resistors (Normal resistor packaging), with a
      direct connection between the leads. If your populating machine
      (Device to drop in components) can't grab wire and position it
      properly, you use those, because it's a common component casing. I
      guess the stripes would be black, black, black

      Actually, it's just one black stripe in the middle.

      -xycon
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 24, 2002
        Time for a makeover of the old PSH with a simple efficient SE requiring no
        special parts. Attached is the schematic for the 1DOF Solar Power Smart
        Head.

        The SE circuit uses just 2 transistors and 4 resistors. It has been
        optimized for a 3V solar cell and can only be used for HC logic enable. The
        SE circuit needs only 3-5uA supply current which is very respectable
        compared to other SEs. The PSH is the standard version 1 1DOF design with
        four inverters used to drive the motor. One spare inverter has it's input
        grounded to minimize supply current.

        Note the special mix of enabled and alway active inverters which are so
        arranged to ensure that all inputs have a DC path to +V or 0V when the
        circuit is disabled. This avoids high supply current associated with
        floating inputs during charging. Even if a HC240 gate is tristate disabled,
        the supply current will rise to many milliamps when the input voltage is
        near +V/2.

        A layout drawing for this circuit will follow.

        enjoy

        wilf

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 24, 2002
          Check this out Wilf

          Jérôme Demers
          "Insectroïdes"
          http://robomaniac.solarbotics.net

          > Time for a makeover of the old PSH with a simple efficient SE requiring no
          > special parts. Attached is the schematic for the 1DOF Solar Power Smart
          > Head.
          >
          > The SE circuit uses just 2 transistors and 4 resistors. It has been
          > optimized for a 3V solar cell and can only be used for HC logic enable.
          The
          > SE circuit needs only 3-5uA supply current which is very respectable
          > compared to other SEs. The PSH is the standard version 1 1DOF design with
          > four inverters used to drive the motor. One spare inverter has it's input
          > grounded to minimize supply current.
          >
          > Note the special mix of enabled and alway active inverters which are so
          > arranged to ensure that all inputs have a DC path to +V or 0V when the
          > circuit is disabled. This avoids high supply current associated with
          > floating inputs during charging. Even if a HC240 gate is tristate
          disabled,
          > the supply current will rise to many milliamps when the input voltage is
          > near +V/2.
          >
          > A layout drawing for this circuit will follow.
          >
          > enjoy
          >
          > wilf

        • Richard Piotter
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 24, 2002
            Actualy, they are in a standard resistor "package" and are marked as
            having a single black ring. Pick and place machines can pick and place a
            resistor with a value of 0 ohms right along with other resistors with
            out having to use any different routine between the two.

            > Or I could use infinite 0 ohm resistors. What? Don’t think they exist. Check the Digi-Key catalog page 543 September - October 2001 (the current one I believe). The Phycomp 5% resistors.
            First value listed is 0.0 ohm! I am going to order some of those the
            next time I place an order just to see what I get. I'll probably get a
            piece of jumper wire or something. LOL

            --

            Richfiles
            richfiles@...
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
              >2) This one is related to question 1. Is there a "package" I can buy
              >that has every resistor value from 1 to 10M? Being short a few
              >resistors when your almost done a freeforming a circuit is rather
              >annoying. This isn't the first time either.

              Hey Will,

              A long time ago, I bought a nice resistor assortment from Tech America (now
              radioshack.com). It is a three drawer set that contains nearly any value I
              have ever needed (except those values on the PSH). They are about $12US a
              kit (3 kits in a set) and there's also capacitor kits available. I got mine
              for about half price when Tech America changed their name, but they still go
              on sale in the RadioShack.com sales flyers ever now and then. Here's a link
              to the resistor kits, but you might have to do some copy and pasting:

              <http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F001%5F006%5F000&Page=1>

              I highly recommend buying the resistor set and possibly a couple capacitor
              kits. They are definitely worth having on your bench.

              Later,

              Pat

            • Ben Micklin
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
                Hi guys,

                I have a pair of Omrons that need a new home. I can
                sell them to you for cheap, (email for price) or I can
                trade you them. If I'm going to trade them, I am in
                desperate need of R/c servos! HS300s, S148s, S3003s,
                it doesn't matter, I need a pair (or just one) fast.
                I'll throw in a tape motor if you'd like. Used it in
                my first BEAM creation (Slug V1) and it ran excellent.

                Email me off list for more info.

                Thanks,

                Ben A Micklin

                Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
                http://movies.yahoo.com/
              • mastervulk
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
                  Hi Wilf,
                  that looks like a nice circuit, I'll be trying it out tonight. Is
                  pin 16 a no connect??

                  Regards,
                  Marty
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
                    Here are some final revisions to the circuit including the spare inverter
                    put to good use. I build and tested it with a 1F cap and it works well. Note
                    that in full sunshine the photodiodes can draw 10mA or more! Use 1K
                    resistors in series with the PD to reduce the current. I am working on yet
                    another version which uses the PDs in the photovoltaic mode (zero leakage
                    current). Details to follow.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 28, 2002
                      Hi Wilf!

                      Long time no talk to! I've been out of the robot biz for a while.
                      Unless I am mistaken, pins 12 and 16 on the schematic should be
                      swapped.

                      Lee Golden