D1 Solar Regulator was Re: Need help with the SIMD1

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2000
      Try this new SIMD1 / Solar Voltage Regulator for use with blinking LED
      circuits (Pummers). It turns on when it gets dark, just like a D1 but the
      output voltage is regulated to about 2V (depending on the reference LED Vf).

      The SIMD1/solar regulator circuit draws no current during charging and when
      turned on, it draws less than 100uA with a maximum 10ma output current. The
      regulator provides constant LED brightness during the discharge and turns
      off when 1F solar cap voltage drops below the LED turn on voltage. The LED
      used for voltage reference in the solar regulator feedback loop and the LEDs
      used for the flasher must be the same high efficiency type to match the
      forward voltage specs. This circuit is ideal for supplying voltage to a
      Bicore or 74HC14 LED flasher as shown below since it eliminates the LED
      current limiting resistors and greatly reduces current consumption of the HC
      flasher circuits. The PowerSaver Flasher uses capacitive output coupling to
      produce brighter shorter flashes and has a much lower average current drain
      than standard bicore or 74HC14 flashers. The PS Flasher with one LED circuit
      (2 LEDs)runs all night from a 1F cap charged to 5.5V. Up to 12 LEDs can be
      controlled with one 74HC14 flasher and probably would run for 2 hours from a
      full charge. Use a range of timing resistors between 1M and 4.7M for each
      oscillator to give a random light show appearance.

      One interesting alternative is to substitute a 5V NiCad (4 cell) battery for
      the 1F supercap which to increase the storage capacity many fold for use
      with flag waver motors, pendulums, etc. With higher load current, the 100K
      resistor may be replaced with 20K for up to 50mA output current. The
      quiescent current of the regulator remains very low and is proportional to
      the load current for high efficiency operation during discharge.

      regards

      wilf

      <<D1_SOLARREG.gif>> <<STDFLASHER.gif>> <<PSFLASHER.gif>>