Re: [beam] thankx guys but one more question!

  • dkbovaird@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
      "hacking" and "modifying" are two different words which mean the same thing
      in todays spoken language. "Modifying" is perhaps a more polite and
      politically correct form. Hacking implies that you don't really know what you
      are attempting to do.

      The two different types of changes made to the servos are for different end
      results. Probably for your (and most BEAM applications) walker, you should
      remove the internal circuit board, or disconnect it from the motor, and
      solder two wires directly to the terminals on the motor and bring them
      outside of the servo case and attach them to your BEAM circuit. (and cut off
      the limiting stops so the gears can rotate in a complete circle)

      dave.
    • Luther Burrell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
        If you read my last post again you will find your answer. If the control
        board stays connected to the servo then you have to give it a pulse train
        input in order to get the servo to move. Like I said this is more common
        with Stamp type microcontrollers where you can easily develope that kind
        of output.

        If you want to use the servo like a motor e.g. apply voltage and watch it
        go. Then you have to remove the control board and hook your own leads to
        the motor. This is the most common way to do it for beam walker
        applications because essentially you have a geared dc motor.

        When they say that hacking and modifying mean the same thing it means that
        people use either word to describe what they are doing. When you hack
        something you change its original form into something that is useful to
        you. Modifying has the same general definition. You use the word hacking
        when you talk about things to your friends (I hacked these servos into a
        robot motor) and you use the word modify when you want your parents to buy
        you some servos (I need these servos so I can modify them into robot
        motors)

        Luther

        http://sports.yahoo.com