re: Another silly post about terminology.

  • beam@sgiblab.sgi.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2000
      Bruce wrote:
      >Americans call themselves Americans. Canadians call them Americans.
      >Mexicans call them Americanos.

      I know this is off topic but having lived in Mexico for a long time I just CANT
      let that one by.

      Mexicans do NOT call US citizens "Americanos". They feel that the term applies
      to everybody on two continents. When referring to US citizens they usually
      call them "Gringos", but if trying to be polite they say "Estadunidenses" (ie
      UnitedStatesians). If you ever hear a Mexican call a US citizen an "Americano"
      it is because they know a lot of US citizens refer to themselves that way and
      because they think the listener is too ignorant to understand if they use a
      different word.

      Simon.

      This message was sent using Dynamite Internet's Web Mail System.
      http://home.dynamite.com.au/