Re: [beam] Poll results for beam

  • Ori
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
      Hey everyone!

      Not many people voted, which is rather disappointing, but looking at the
      fact that some very smart people voted no, I'm wondering why? Could you guys
      shed light on the other side of the issue, that others obviously missed?
      Thanks,

      Ori

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
        At 06:30 AM 1/21/02, Ori wrote:
        >Could you guys shed light on the other side of the issue, that others
        >obviously missed?

        You have entered the realm of the excluded middle: that is, there are
        opinions other than "yes" or "no". A typical example would be "I don't
        care" and in fact one might well surmise that all of the "missing" votes --
        which would be the _overwhelming_ majority in this case -- fell into that
        category. There are other possible categories, but "yes" and "no" only

        With regard to -who- voted, you might note that they are also the people
        who post fairly often. Intelligence isn't the key here (not that any of
        the people who voted were the least bit unintelligent, of course) but more
        likely the ones who are sufficiently extroverted to vote _at_all_.

        In fact this points out a flaw in the polling technique used: this wasn't a
        secret ballot, something that would have hidden the identities of the
        people who voted. People are often daunted by having their votes made public.

        Bis sp├Ąter,

        Ihr freundlicher Schweinvater
      • Tom Gray
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2004
          What does the group want? We can have a tie-splitting vote or I can just
          send something to each of them.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2004
            Hello Tom,

            > What does the group want? We can have a tie-splitting vote or I
            > can just send something to each of them.

            I prefer having a tie-breaking vote for the sake of having a single
            group logo. That said, both Adi and Justin have done a great job and
            deserve something.

            My two cents,

            J Wolfgang Goerlich
          • DrewB
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2004
              I don't feel right answering this, as I am not an organizer or a contestant.

              That being said, Both are worthy and do have good lead in the ploes (7 votes to the next runner-up, I think). I feel each sould be rewarded for their efforts. But if a Run-Off is desired, I will vote (again). Unfortunately this time, I will not be able to vote for both.

              coaching from the stands,
              DrewB

              Tom Gray <grayed@...> wrote:
              What does the group want?  We can have a tie-splitting vote or I can just
              send something to each of them.
              Tom

              > Adi and Justin end up tied, with 17 votes a-piece. (No jokes about
              > hand recounts, please!) Judges?
              >
              > J Wolfgang Goerlich
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • mycroft2152
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2004
                I'll add my two cents too for a tie breaking vote.

                Myc

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "J Wolfgang Goerlich" <jwgoerlich@h...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Hello Tom,

                  Do we have an official BEAM logo, now? My hat's off to the artistic
                  talent of Adi and Justin.

                  J Wolfgang Goerlich