Re: [beam] No-one has told alt-beam that the list was moving...

  • John A. deVries II
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2000
      At 02:00 PM 4/25/00 , you wrote:
      >I don't how the people subscribed to the list were told (if at all) that
      >it was moving, but as I never saw any sort of indication (I read it via
      >the egroups "alt-beam" archive) I've have spent the last few days
      >cursing the list server for the sudden halt in the postings. I only
      >discovered what happened when I seriously considered the seemingly
      >absurd posibility that alt-beam had somehow been un-subscribed from its
      >sole purpose in life...

      Well, it is like this...

      sgiblab no longer supports the BEAM emailing list. eGroups is where -all-
      of the stuff is now.

      alt-beam still has the thousands of messages between Jan. 27th, 1999 and
      about April 21st, 2000. It was never meant to be more than an
      archive. Because I've been asked to leave it around as a reference, I
      will. I'll have to send a message to it every month or three so that
      eGroups doesn't kill it for being idle.

      beam is where the current list has been moved and will store messages sent
      from April 21st until Some Day In The Future. If you aren't on that list,
      you ought to go to the egroups.com page, register as a user, and then
      become a subscriber to the beam list.

      eGroups does not permit one of their lists to receive another's -- in other
      words, alt-beam@egroups.com is not permitted to be a member of the beam
      list. They probably do this to prevent infinite mail loops which would be
      a real hassle. This is -not- Mark Dalton's fault, it is just The Way
      Things Are.

      So, join eGroups, subscribe to beam, send messages to beam@egroups.com when
      you have and you ought to be ok. At least for now.