Uh...adress change?

  • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
      I guess that the BEAM list moved to egroups, just testin the waters!

      -Spencer

      <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

      not a robot scientist
      not a college major
      not a grad student
      not a professor
      not a very organized person
      just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)
    • John A. deVries II
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
        At 03:45 PM 4/21/00 , Spencer wrote:
        >I guess that the BEAM list moved to egroups, just testin the waters!

        This is decidedly odd. One supposes that Mark (who appears to be the owner
        of the new list) finally decided that maintaining the list on eGroups would
        be substantially easier than doing it at SGI. It is rather unfortunate
        that he hasn't taken the time to alter his welcome message -- it is quite
        anachronistic (for example, he hasn't had an account at webconn for quite
        some time now. There are also some other odd things about the group startup.

        If this change -does- work out, I'll probably close out the alt-beam
        archive. Whee!

        Zoz
      • Bruce Robinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
          "John A. deVries II" wrote:

          > This is decidedly odd. One supposes that Mark (who appears to be
          > the owner of the new list) finally decided that maintaining the
          > list on eGroups would be substantially easier than doing it at SGI.

          True, when he doesn't work there anymore :)

          Take a closer look at his "Welcome to the BEAM group" message, about
          halfway down the page.

          Bruce
        • William Cox
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
            I think this is a **bad** idea. The free eGroups service (so I've heard)
            generates *tons* of SPAM. The Stamp list went through the whole thing a few
            weeks ago. Fortunately they're paying for the service.
            -William

            > >I guess that the BEAM list moved to egroups, just testin the waters!
            >
            > This is decidedly odd. One supposes that Mark (who appears to be the
            owner
            > of the new list) finally decided that maintaining the list on eGroups
            would
            > be substantially easier than doing it at SGI. It is rather unfortunate
            > that he hasn't taken the time to alter his welcome message -- it is quite
            > anachronistic (for example, he hasn't had an account at webconn for quite
            > some time now. There are also some other odd things about the group
            startup.

            > If this change -does- work out, I'll probably close out the alt-beam
            > archive. Whee!
            >

            > Zoz

          • William Cox
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000

              > Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
              > already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
              > find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:

              AHHHHHH!! I can't stand this......
              -William
            • John A. deVries II
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
                I'd be willing to put up this money for one year, but of course it
                depends on Mark Dalton's approval:

                Q. Is there a no-advertising option?
                A. Yes, eGroups offers a no-ads option. For $4.95 a month (payable in
                a single annual payment of $59.40), a moderator can designate that a
                group be excluded from the standard eGroups email advertisements.

                --- In beam@egroups.com, "William Cox" <william@c...> wrote:

                ------
                > > Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million
                alumni
                > > already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
                > > find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
                > >

                > AHHHHHH!! I can't stand this......
                > -William
              • John A. deVries II
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2000
                  There are 13,818 messages in the alt-beam archive. The only spam
                  I've seen in it occurred because alt-beam was a copy of the main list
                  and the main list was hit a few times. No one can _promise_ that
                  everything will be perfect here, but eGroups has served our community
                  pretty well for the last 1 1/4 years.

                  Since users can choose between having the messages sent individually
                  or in a daily digest or MOST IMPORTANTLY not at all via email (the
                  user reads the messages on the web), it is possible to greatly reduce
                  the risk of spam or at least its annoyance.

                  In any case, back to discussing robots, eh?

                • BUDSCOTT@aol.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 22, 2000
                      I was going to reply to another message that was similiar to this, but i lost
                      it.

                      What is the difference between the regular e-groups lists and the paid for
                      e-groups list?

                      Look at the very bottom of my signature, just to clarify that i'm not really
                      trying to send advertisments, hehe!

                      -Spencer

                      <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

                      not a robot scientist
                      not a college major
                      not a grad student
                      not a professor
                      not a very organized person
                      just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

                      I didn't write this!
                      | |
                      | |
                      \/
                    • Eric Seale
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 22, 2000
                        >I'd be willing to put up this money for one year, but of course it
                        >depends on Mark Dalton's approval:
                        >
                        >Q. Is there a no-advertising option?
                        >A. Yes, eGroups offers a no-ads option. For $4.95 a month (payable in
                        >a single annual payment of $59.40), a moderator can designate that a
                        >group be excluded from the standard eGroups email advertisements.

                        Heck, let's pass the hat -- I'll chip in on this, too. I wonder, if a
                        handful of us chipped in $10, could we get the no-ads option payed off for
                        a few years in advance?

                        Eric

                        >--- In beam@egroups.com, "William Cox" <william@c...> wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
                        >------
                        >> > Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million
                        >alumni
                        >> > already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
                        >> > find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
                        >> > http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/5/_/610793/_/956361215/
                        >> >

                        >> AHHHHHH!! I can't stand this......
                        >> -William

                        Eric Seale | "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it
                        | kills all its pupils."
                        Eric.Seale@... | - Hector Berlioz (1803-1869), French composer
                      • Droidmakr
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 24, 2000
                          "John A. deVries II" <zozzles@l...> wrote:

                          > If this change -does- work out, I'll probably close out the alt-
                          beam
                          > archive. Whee!
                          >
                          > Zoz

                          If you do will there be an archive we can get to?
                          I often go back into the present archive to re-read some of the more
                          interesting and useful posts.

                          So long
                          Droidmakr