Re: [beam] Alternative to BASIC stamp

  • Gregorius Soedharmo
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      The AVR Tiny has 4 *gasp* 10-bit ADC built in to it. part number ATiny15L,
      current consumption 2.7-5.5V, built in 1.6MHz oscillator, 8 pin DIP package,
      brown-out detection, watchdog timer, 3.0mA power consumption while active,
      and a precision PWM generator.
      The thing runs about $2.50 so it is cheap enough to buy.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        >From: "Ori" <sbarbut@...>
        >To: <beam@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [beam] Alternative to BASIC stamp
        >Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:03:41 -0800
        >
        >Hi everyone!
        >
        >I'm searching for an alternative to a BASIC stamp, that would need at least
        >6 inputs and 2 outputs - all I'm doing is some simple if statements,
        >comparing input from one to another (if inputOne > inputTwo then).

        I also
        >need something that doesn't need a lot of current, basically one that can
        >be
        >run using a solarengine. I don't know if that is pushing it, but it can
        >start at the beginning of the program each time the solarengine fires. What
        >can I use? BG micro is selling all of this "PIC" stuff, which I'm not
        >farmilliar with, but I'll buy whatever kit that would be right for what I'm
        >doing (Of course I'm already making an order to them, they have the
        >motors!). What do I need to burn the program on, etc.?
        >
        >Ori

        I'd suggest you the OOPic, which is much less expensive (half the price or less) that the Basic Stamp and has 31 I/O lines, it's networkable and easily programmable in Visual Basic (well, kinda)!!
        It's really great. it has 4A/D converters all I/Os are reversible. you can look at it on OOPic's home page and buy it on BGMicro.
        The programming language is FREE. some useful projects are illustrated on OOPic's home and some others on AcroName site (they also sell the OOPic, but they use the EXPENSIVE UPS, which charges you twice: once when you buy the shipping and then at the customs. So, I wouldn't suggest you buying from acroname)
        I don't know if it's solarizable, but if the Basic Stamp is...
        Anyway, you should provide two power sources: one for the logic (the oopic itself) and one for the power stage (the motors or whatever, even some active sensors, which need to be powered). This is suggested everywhere. If you use only a power source for everything, you risk to overload the OOPic.

        --

        I'll be back.
        Luca