Re: [beam] Re: distributor-Panasonic 1381....

  • Bruce Robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
      "~Zac~ ." wrote:

      > Second, in anticipation to delivery of pager motors, I would
      > love to hear some techniques for removing the weight from the
      > shaft.

      There are at least two common methods of mounting the weights; 1)pressed
      or glued onto a smooth shaft; 2) pressed onto a rough or knurled shaft.

      For case 1, many people grip the weight in a vise and use a small pin
      and hammer to tap the shaft out of the weight. Make sure you have
      something to catch the motor so it doesn't bounce off the floor. Watch
      out for small spacers between the weight and the motor that you might
      not want to lose. This method won't work for case 2.

      For both cases, you can try to break the weight. One successful approach
      (reported by others) is to crush the weight in a pair of vice-grip
      pliers. Personally I like a device (which I happen to have in my tool
      kit) called a "nut-cracker". It's designed to split seriously rusted
      nuts off bolts that you don't want to damage. Bascially it has an anvil
      which you place against the nut (or weight) and opposite that a hardened
      steel wedge mounted on a screw. Tighten the screw with a socket wrench
      and it drives the wedge into the nut or weight, splitting it neatly
      apart. Other people have used carbide or diamond cutters mounted in a
      dremel machine with good results.

      If you try the first method on a case 2 weight, you will almost
      certainly wreck the motor. The other three methods will work for both
      methods of mounting the weights, to you might want to try one of them
      first just to see how the weights are mounted.

      Bruce
    • Conan the Librarian
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
        Zac,

        --- In beam@y..., "~Zac~ ." <zgeniez@h...> wrote:
        > First of all, thanks to Pat Nicklas for the reference to Digikey!
        I had a
        > hard time navigating to the data sheet for the 1381's. It always
        helps to
        > have the manufacturers part #. So if anyone else is interested and
        has had
        > the same troubles:
        >
        > http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds/eng/SAG00003AEM.pdf

        Or, you could just go here:

        http://library.solarbotics.net/datasheets

        > Second, in anticipation to delivery of pager motors, I would love
        to hear
        > some techniques for removing the weight from the shaft.

        This has been discussed on-list a number of times in the past - I'd
        suggest doing a search. The predominant methods seem to be either
        crushing the weight to crack it, or clamping the weight in a vise and
        driving the motor shaft out with a pin.

        Conan
        Conan the Librarian (conan.librarian@...)
        Chief Custodian of the BEAM Reference Library at
        http://www.solarbotics.net