Re: distributor-Panasonic 1381....

  • ~Zac~ .
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
      First of all, thanks to Pat Nicklas for the reference to Digikey! I had a
      hard time navigating to the data sheet for the 1381's. It always helps to
      have the manufacturers part #. So if anyone else is interested and has had
      the same troubles:

      http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds/eng/SAG00003AEM.pdf

      Second, in anticipation to delivery of pager motors, I would love to hear
      some techniques for removing the weight from the shaft.

      thanks again!

      ~Zac~

    • Bruce Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
        "~Zac~ ." wrote:

        > Second, in anticipation to delivery of pager motors, I would
        > love to hear some techniques for removing the weight from the
        > shaft.

        There are at least two common methods of mounting the weights; 1)pressed
        or glued onto a smooth shaft; 2) pressed onto a rough or knurled shaft.

        For case 1, many people grip the weight in a vise and use a small pin
        and hammer to tap the shaft out of the weight. Make sure you have
        something to catch the motor so it doesn't bounce off the floor. Watch
        out for small spacers between the weight and the motor that you might
        not want to lose. This method won't work for case 2.

        For both cases, you can try to break the weight. One successful approach
        (reported by others) is to crush the weight in a pair of vice-grip
        pliers. Personally I like a device (which I happen to have in my tool
        kit) called a "nut-cracker". It's designed to split seriously rusted
        nuts off bolts that you don't want to damage. Bascially it has an anvil
        which you place against the nut (or weight) and opposite that a hardened
        steel wedge mounted on a screw. Tighten the screw with a socket wrench
        and it drives the wedge into the nut or weight, splitting it neatly
        apart. Other people have used carbide or diamond cutters mounted in a
        dremel machine with good results.

        If you try the first method on a case 2 weight, you will almost
        certainly wreck the motor. The other three methods will work for both
        methods of mounting the weights, to you might want to try one of them
        first just to see how the weights are mounted.

        Bruce
      • Conan the Librarian
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
          Zac,

          --- In beam@y..., "~Zac~ ." <zgeniez@h...> wrote:
          > First of all, thanks to Pat Nicklas for the reference to Digikey!
          I had a
          > hard time navigating to the data sheet for the 1381's. It always
          helps to
          > have the manufacturers part #. So if anyone else is interested and
          has had
          > the same troubles:
          >
          > http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds/eng/SAG00003AEM.pdf

          Or, you could just go here:

          http://library.solarbotics.net/datasheets

          > Second, in anticipation to delivery of pager motors, I would love
          to hear
          > some techniques for removing the weight from the shaft.

          This has been discussed on-list a number of times in the past - I'd
          suggest doing a search. The predominant methods seem to be either
          crushing the weight to crack it, or clamping the weight in a vise and
          driving the motor shaft out with a pin.

          Conan
          Conan the Librarian (conan.librarian@...)
          Chief Custodian of the BEAM Reference Library at
          http://www.solarbotics.net