Irritating messages [was: Make Millions at home!!!!]

  • Bruce Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Luca Crisi wrote:

      > c b wrote:
      >

      > > Lets keep this crap off here!! I dont want to start recieving all of
      > > these ads while im trying to read about beam!!!
      >
      > I do totally agree.

      Friends. There is very little we can do about this kind of thing. Anyone
      can sign onto the list and send us something like this. Fortunately it
      doesn't happen often.

      What you CAN do however, is ignore it. The people who send these
      messages unsubscribe as quickly as they send the message. They will
      never see your comments. Replying to the list simply compounds the
      problem. Replying to the list AND including the entire original document
      doubles the problem.

      If it really upsets you, contact Yahoo, and identify the message and the
      original sender. If the message violates their terms of use, Yahoo will
      usually try to block the offender from further activity of this kind.

      And now I've compounded the problem too.

      Bruce
    • Daniel Grace
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- Bruce Robinson <Bruce_Robinson@...> wrote:
        > The people
        > who send these
        > messages unsubscribe as quickly as they send the
        > message. They will
        > never see your comments.

        Almost right. Most of them never subscribe in the
        first place. Remember the guy who sent the "subscribe"
        message? You don't have to be a memeber to post, just
        to recieve messages.

        > And now I've compounded the problem too.

        At least you didn't include the whole message again.
        ;-)

        > Bruce

        ~Daniel

        =====
        ICQ # 39402143
        http://negativeview.tripod.com again

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          Does anyone know if there is a way to filter out non-member's messages on
          Yahoo's side?
          Most of the mailing lists I've been on don't allow non-members to use it.

          > Almost right. Most of them never subscribe in the
          > first place. Remember the guy who sent the "subscribe"
          > message? You don't have to be a memeber to post, just
          > to recieve messages.
          >
          > ~Daniel
        • Bruce Robinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
            Barry Michels wrote:

            > Does anyone know if there is a way to filter out non-member's
            > messages on Yahoo's side?
            > Most of the mailing lists I've been on don't allow non-members
            > to use it.

            Yes, the list can be configured that way. But it doesn't help. Anyone
            can become a member just by signing up. Many spammers do that -- sign
            up, send their message, then unsubscribe.

            The next level up is for the moderator to approve new subscribers.
            Anyone want that job? Not only is it a real headache, but if you don't
            do it promptly, EVERY TIME, then you will start to lose new members. And
            even then, you're not secure. Anyone can open up a new hotmail address.
            How is the moderator to know who they are when approving them?

            Let Yahoo know about these people. If they persist, they will eventually
            get completely blocked from Yahoo. A couple of years ago we had a guy
            join the list and flood us with spam, AND viruses, AND porn. He kept
            coming back with new addresses, too. Eventually, though, the police got
            involved and the problem stopped. Don't get mad -- get even.

            Bruce