RE: [beam] A lot of things...

  • Ed Mack
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      I already said all that!

      Ed Mack
      Surfing for Money isn't always a scam,
      my bank account's standing proof!

      http://www.desktopdollars.com/default.asp?id=edmack

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bruce Robinson [mailto:Bruce_Robinson@...]
      Sent: 01 July 2001 02:54
      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [beam] A lot of things...

      > César Blum Silveira wrote:
      >
      > I have some questions:

      Hi, César. Here are some answers -- sorry I can't help you on all of
      them.

      > 1) What will happen if I connect a pager motor to a
      > bicore powered with 3V?

      It depends on the pager motor. Try it and see.

      > 2) What ca I use to connect the legas of my walkers
      > to the motors?

      A popular method is to solder the legs to a piece of terminal block,
      then clamp the terminal to the motor shaft. There is an excellent
      close-up photo of this arrangement at:
      http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/6897/walk3.html
      about 8 images down the page. Sorry, there's about 300 k of images on
      the page, but it's worth waiting for.

      > 3) How can I make the inclination in the front of my
      > two-motor walkers, without using a PCB?

      Some people use large paper clips to make a frame. Sparky (S.G.) used
      small pieces of aluminum angle. I am building a walker with very large
      gearboxes, and I used two metal straps purchased from a hardware store,
      and bent in a vise.

      > 4) Can I solder a paperclip to a motor?

      It has been done by some people. I personally would avoid it, because a
      little too much heat will cause permanent damage to the motor.

      > 5) Which is the simplest and cheapest photovore?

      Can't help you there.

      > 6) How can I "control" a Microcore?

      Take at look at This page on Eric's site. About half way down the page
      you'll see an article of mine on how to influence a microcore:
      http://bftgu.botic.com/starting_nvnet_influe.html

      > 7) How does a head work: it looks from one side to
      > other or it spins until it get the brightest source
      of light?

      It depends on the circuit. Typically, light strikes two photo-devices
      and if one is receiving more light than the other, the head turns to
      balance the amount of light reaching each "eye". Heads that seek out the
      brightest light by spinning or scanning are less common.

      > 8) Are cassete player's motors geared?

      Apparently some very expensive ones are. I've never seen one -- the ones
      I've dismantled use small belts and pulleys.

      > 9) Can I use cassete player's motors in walkers?

      If they aren't geared, it's difficult. A few people have successfully
      built their own gearboxes by dismantling timers, etc.

      > 10) If I use two bicores in a two motor walker,
      > they can be independent of each other or they
      > need to have a connection betwwen them?

      If you leave them independent, they will simply make each motor
      oscillate. If they aren't synchronized somehow, the walker may be able
      to move, but not very efficiently. Also, it is very unlikely that the
      two bicores will oscillate at exactly the same speed, so even if you get
      your motor walking, the gait will change and the walker may even start
      walking backwards.

      So the short answer -- you might get away without connecting them, but
      it's not a good idea.

      > 11) How can I make a two motor walker with two
      > bicores that avoids obstacles?

      Have a look at Ian's site:
      <http://www.beam-online.com/Robots/Circuits/circuits.html#Complete
      Walker Schematic>

      > 12) I've heard that logic gates are made with
      > transistors, inside ICs. Anyone knows how to
      > make an inverter gate?

      I recall this being posted to the list a few months ago. Can't remember
      exactly when or who came up with the circuit. Probably Wilf.

      And finally, a suggestion. When you put this many questions in a
      message, one or two of them may be overlooked by the person who could
      answer them. If you don't get satisfactory answers to one question, try
      posting the question again, by itself.

      Bruce

    • Triffid Hunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        > César Blum Silveira wrote:
        >
        > Hi all!
        > I have some questions:
        > 1) What will happen if I connect a pager motor to a bicore powered
        > with 3V?

        try it and see!

        > 2) What ca I use to connect the legas of my walkers to the motors?

        paperclips?

        > 3) How can I make the inclination in the front of my two-motor
        > walkers, without using a PCB?

        paperclips? use the giant ones, they're stronger.

        > 4) Can I solder a paperclip to a motor?

        as long as you clean the motor first, and you have a very hot iron! I've
        been unable to do this with a 25w iron, but no probs with a 50.

        > 7) How does a head work: it looks from one side to other or it spins
        > until it get the brightest source of light?

        the difference in light on the two sensors defines which way, and how
        fast it spins. in theory, it should stop spinning if the light levels
        are equal.

        > 8) Are cassete player's motors geared?

        no. they have speed control circuitry in them (all the ones I've seen
        have anyway)

        > 9) Can I use cassete player's motors in walkers?

        you can try, though I dont think they'd work too well if your walker is
        solar powered due to the weight of the motors.

        > 12) I've heard that logic gates are made with transistors, inside ICs.
        > Anyone knows how to make an inverter gate?

        base (via a resistor, 1-10k) is the input, emitter connected to 0v,
        collector tied to +ve by a resistor (value depends on your app. 1k for
        ttl, 10-100k for cmos). junction between collector and resistor is the
        output.

        > 13) This isn't a question. Look this 'bot thata I built. It's a
        > solaroller made with a car frame! It charges each 2 seconds in direct
        > sunlight, but there is a problem with this, nd I would like to know if
        > anyone knows what can be this: If there is so much light, it activates
        > only one or two times and then stops and starts making a very low
        > noise. Could anyone help me?

        its probably oscillating (turning on and off very fast). try a larger
        storage capacitor. if that doesn't work, play with it and tell us what
        you're doing.