aqauvore another question

  • vladimir yurkov
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      hey

      i would recomend reading "aquavore" before this because this is a question related to that message.
      now lets get to buisiness!

      i am making an arm at the bottom of the sub or aquavore, this is the thing i want to achieve:

      - sub sinks without losing any power...
      - switch is flipped when sub tuches the bottom
      -10 second activator for the propellor is activated
      -during these 10 seconds, the arm reaches down and grabs what it can and retracts
      -propellor starts up and brings the su to the surface
      -subs artancks fill up ( dont know how to do this )
      -sub stays afloat till retrieved

      now i need a schematic for a 10 second or more activator

      here is another question:
      here is a design for may arm that uses no motors whatsoever:

      i was wondering if this will work.?
      here is an explanation:

      when the sub tuches the bottom, the electromagnet is powered up pushing the " piston " down. the sprin holds the " fingers " together, but with the push from the magnets, it expands and the fingers open up.
      when the propelor moto launches, the power to the electro magnet is deactivated and the spring pushes the magnets together and the fingers together and the arm retracts.

      the propelor will work on an scr latching circuit so if the sub tuches the botom and 10 or more seconds are up thre is not stoping the motor till it gets to the top.

      thanx for the help
      vyurkov
    • Andrew Berry
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001

        ::snip::
        > i want it to stop when it hits the top.
        > would wilfs moisture detector work for this?
        > when there is no water on it it stops the motor.

        I'm not familiar with Wilf's detector, but if you plan on using your
        bot in a lake, you could probably get away with a simple light
        threshold sensor. Tune it so that when it gets to the top (no murky
        water between it and the sun) it disengages the latch.

        > i really want something to inflate ( air bag ) to ceep the bot
        adrift. this souns a bit complicated.
        > Any ideas?

        a balloon and a small container of vinegar & baking soda, water &
        alkaseltzer, or similar gas-producing combination, kept seperate
        until you want to inflate the air bag. However, how you mix the two
        when you get to this point is another story all together. On the
        other hand, perhaps a small CO2 cartridge with a valve would be a bit
        better (and with a second valve, you could vent the gas and reinflate
        the raft several times before re-feuling (and this setup would be a
        heckuva lot easier to recharge between runs).

        ::snip::

        > - sub sinks without losing any power...
        > - switch is flipped when sub tuches the bottom
        > -10 second activator for the propellor is activated

        so you want a 10 second delay before activating the motor? just use
        a Nu arrangement. If my count of features is correct, you will be
        able to fit your entire 'bot on a single '240 (plus driving
        components) depending upon how you inflate the raft.

        > -during these 10 seconds, the arm reaches down and grabs what it
        can and retracts
        > -propellor starts up and brings the su to the surface
        > -subs artancks fill up ( dont know how to do this )
        > -sub stays afloat till retrieved
        >
        > now i need a schematic for a 10 second or more activator

        just use a Nu arrangement. If my count of features is correct, you
        will be able to fit your entire 'bot on a single '240 (plus driving
        components).

        > here is another question:
        > here is a design for may arm that uses no motors whatsoever:
        >

        > i was wondering if this will work.?

        i would say so. But if i were you, i'd watch out for those
        underwater weeds catching you bot.

        ::snip::

        -andrew
      • vladimir yurkov