61261Re: [beam] Memristor

  • Richard Piotter
    Jan 7, 2014
      The upper connection will mimic the bench made memristors that have been seen so far... in that it is purely a mechanical connection. It will be held together by compression between the upper and lower PC boards, as applied by the torqued screws. Lower board gets a pem nut soldered or pressed into the bottom, while the top gets a screw going through to the lower board.

      Between the two boards will be a sheet of compressible material, such as that type of foam packing sheet you often see used for protecting new electronics from scratches, sandwiched between the two PC board layers. The foam will have holes for both the screws and the memristors. I will also be likely to incorporate an alignment key, if it proves necessary. Basically two headers on opposite corners of the board electrically attached to nothing, meant to simply pierce the foam and hold it stable. Materials and assembly are as follows:

      BOM:

      1x lower PC Board
      1x Upper PC Board
      4x 2-56 Screw (approximately 3/16 to 1/4 inch length for the balls I'll be using)
      4x 2-56 pem nut (solderable preferred)
      4x 20 pin single inline header (male) (or 2x 20-pin, or 8x 5 pin, etc.)
      **PC board side of header leads should be long enough to pass through both PC boards.
      20x aluminum BBs (I am getting mine from McMaster Carr)
      1x cut foam sheet
      2x (optional) single header pin for use as foam sheet alignment key
      Solder
      (Optional) Sealant or conformal coat

      Assembly:

      1: Press or solder pen nuts to lower board.
      2: Solder header to lower (sulfide) PC board. Solder key pins if present.
      3: (Optional) Seal the vias and solder joints for the headers, and mask the pem nut holes.
      4: Generate copper sulfide by applying sulfur to the lower pads and allowing it to react
      5: Removing the sulfur
      6: Inspect the copper sulfide pads, and redo step 4 if need be. Otherwise...
      7: Make or have foam sheets made that have a hole pattern matching pads, screws, and keyways.
      *I'm going to ask a guy with a laser cutter to do my foam, since I plan to build small
      8: Place foam sheet on first PC board, aligning any key holes to key pins (if present).
      9: Place an aluminum ball bearing inside each hole in the sheet that corresponds to a pad.
      10: Line the upper board with the lower board and start the screws in.
      11: Using thread lock compound, such as Loctite, Torque the screws (spec TBD).
      12: Insert header for upper board through lower board and solder to upper board.
      13: Test memristors electrically.
      **If any fail, you may attempt to go back and repair, or mark it's pins as defective and amply not use it. There are 20 memristors on the PC board, I have no idea what the consistency from part to part will be, nor do I know what kind of yields this will result in.
      14: (Recommended) If device is satisfactory, seal the screws so they can not be easily turned.
      15: (Optional) You may tack the corner solder joints of the lower board header to the upper board holes (there will be no electrical connection, merely a mechanical connection). Alignment key headers could theoretically also be tacked to the upper board for additional strength.
      16: (Optional) Seal the sides of the device to fully encase the internal components.
      ** Any outgassing by the material of the sealant must be confirmed to NOT react with the copper sulfide, or either the copper or aluminum metals.

      Step 17: Use it!

      The entire device is meant to be mechanically secured. Torquing the screw down at the center of each ring of memristors is intended to create a compression fit between the copper pad above, the aluminum ball, and the copper sulfide pad below. I just ordered some $32 in balls, screws, and nuts from McMaster Carr. I could have got cheaper hardware, but I am dead set on solderable pem nuts, and with minimums, I'll have parts to build five right off the bat I went with the 1/32 (0.77mm) aluminum balls. I just really like the compactness they offer, and if I get issues with them, I can always just reorder the 5/64 (1.98mm) balls and try them.

      The biggest issue I can foresee, if these work, is that repeated insertion or removal from a socket could be detrimental to the internal structure if twisting is involved. I would personally solder it to a PC board, or socket it once, if it's tested good, and then do modifications on what it is attached to. mechanical stresses could alter the state of the memristor, considering the non volatile state of it's resistance. Under normal motion and operation, it should remain intact and secure. If I were to make it bigger, I could have more screws. That alone would make it more rigid, but I wanted to maintain the industry standard footprint. I may just try to get thicker PC board material for the lower board, to simply give it a firm foundation, and let the upper board be normal thickness.

      I'm going to do a PC board layout and the PC boards would then be an item that could simply be ordered from a board manufacturer from the files. Even just having the full solder mask to protect the traces from any lingering sulfur alone is worth it to buy the boards professionally manufactured. It also ensures pad alignment.

      And while I'm on professional PC board manufacturers... I love how this one board house I looked at puts "Live" salesperson in quotes, just like that... What? Do they have a few undead sales personel on staff?! LOL XD

      I want to ask my boss at one of my jobs what material we use for a gasket in one of our products. If i ca get it in sheets, and then get some cutting dies for the holes, I could make some PRIMO pieces for the middle layer! I couldn't afford to have it tooled up though, not without something like a kickstarter. I'd have no chance. For the time being the middle layer of material will have to be hand cut or laser cut.

      I hope that explains things clearly enough to understand.

      And in reply to Connor, I'd say that assembly is fairly straight forward for now. The boards will be ordered from a professional board manufacturer. Cutting the foam/rubber/silicone gasket that sits between the boards will be the most complex task, and if I can get a bunch laser cut, then the hardest task becomes soldering the 40 pin headers to a pair of PC boards, and torquing 4 screws to the same torque. Not terribly bad by any means. Nothing a little time with a soldering iron and a screwdriver won't assemble. I do suspect torque pressure to be light. Too much torque and you risk damage to the copper sulfide pads, I think.

      Richard Piotter
      richfiles

      Begin forwarded message:

    • Show all 64 messages in this topic