61249Re: [beam] Memristor

  • Richard Piotter
    Dec 26, 2013
      Glad to hear someone else sees the potential. Now I need to order parts... The rubber pad, the aluminum balls, better PC board material (the radio shack stuff is brittle... I want stuff that has strength and will flex instead of crack).

      Looks like the airsoft BBs are 6mm in diameter... A little bigger than I would like. I'll see if I can look at that welding supply source. If they can't help, then 6mm gap it is. I was hoping for about 2-3mm.

      I got a lot to do!

      Richard Piotter

      Begin forwarded message:
      > From: Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...>
      > Subject: Re: [beam] Memristor
      > Date: December 26, 2013 11:45:23 PM CST
      > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
      > It sounds good to me. As you say, it should be pretty repeatable. With that form of mechanical construction, the biggest area of uncertainty should, likely, be the creation of the sulfide layer which could, very likely, very within a fairly wide range given level of clean on the board, temperature, coating density, etc. But, it could definitely be a major improvement in uniformity; and, it's likely to be very strong. That would make it much easier to experiment with.
      > Interesting,
      > Martin Jay McKee
      > On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:
      > So my previous assessment of the liquid conductive paint pen "seeping" through imperfections of the sulfide layer and bonding directly to the copper pad beneath seems to be confirmed after some dissection. I actually had a "dot" of silver paint that resists separation from the copper unless picked at with some effort.
      > Long story short... Paint pen is a bust... :(
      > Good news, is the most annoying motor line we produced at the old company I used to work at gave me a BRILLIANT idea! Back then, we made a motor driver that had triplets of MOSFETs held against a sil pad on a heat sink by a cross bar with rubber pads and screws threaded ingot eh bar from outside the heatsink. The idea I conceived falls back to the idea of using mechanical point contacts, but eliminates so many of the issues of the cobbled together bench top experiments that prevent hobby memristors from being actually... you know, useable for REAL world applications!
      > http://richfiles.solarbotics.net/robots/MemristorAlBall.jpg
> [...]
    • Show all 64 messages in this topic