      From: Damian Stewart (ML) <damian.ml@...>
      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:21 AM
      Subject: Re: [beam] Solar Powered Theremin

      oh, sorry about that.

      the part i was looking at was the ON semiconductor NCP301 Voltage Detector with open drain output, with the detection voltage at around 2.2v . Probably anything between 2.0 and 2.4 is acceptable here -- this component simply opens the discharge circuit once the capacitor reaches the set voltage, so lower voltages will lead to higher frequencies.

      cheers
      damian stewart . creative code
      http://damianstewart.com . twitter @damian0815

      On 10.05.2012, at 14:39, Lou Dean wrote:

      > Hi Damien,
      >
      > Thanks for this!
      >
      > The link you posted just brought up a blank page! Do you have the part number there?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Lou
      >
      > On 10 May 2012 14:13, Damian Stewart (ML) <damian.ml@...> wrote:
      > On 10.05.2012, at 12:06, Lou Dean wrote:
      >
      > > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday. I have the instructions from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or alternative 13811 shown on the diagram). I found one company that did sell them but not anymore!
      >
      > that chip is a voltage detector. no-one seems to make through-hole versions any more, there's only SMD (but SMD's are surprisingly easy to solder!)
      >
      > note that i don't have experience with this exactly, but one of these (such as the first one) should do the trick:
      >
      > http://at.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Voltage-Detectors-Monitors/_/N-wnwi?P=1z0y3lsZ1z0vm7gZ1z0k0qqZ1z0k0n0Z1z0vlvnZ1z0k0myZ1z0j9s1Z1z0vm79Z1z0vmfuZ1z0vm78Z1z0k0mxZ1z0w7ywZ1z0vmft
      >
      > cheers
      > damian
      > --