59592Re: [beam] Re: Headbot

  • wrigter
    Aug 3, 2009
      Combining a headbot and symet is a great idea Martyn!

      There are some interesting angles to consider.

      A symet is a cross between a slider and a spinning top. WHen
      it fires, it spins a bit and then shoots off in a straight
      line, ending in another little
      spin. The drive comes from the small diameter motor spindle
      which has an effective wheel circumference of a few mils in
      contact with the floor and which provides sufficient torque
      to move the symet without using gears.

      A symet is designed to rest on the motor shaft/spindle and
      on one of (usually) three sides near its balance tipping
      point. A solar cell mounted on the top of the symet would be
      nearly horizontal and point nominally to an overhead light
      source. No need to adjust the solar cell angle in that case.

      In fact, a symet doesn't work very well with a side light
      source, unless the solar cell can be adjusted to point to
      the source. So when the symet stops moving, a side facing
      solar cell is left oriented in a random direction. Then, if
      necesary, the head circuit kicks in and adjusts the solar
      cell to point to the light source to speed up the charge
      cycle.

      With the right mechanical design, it may be possible to use
      the symet motor with short pops, to incrementally rotate the
      solar cell until it is pointed in the right direction and
      take a full charge followed by a long pop.

      Seen from a different perspective, a symet resting at a
      steep angle, with the solar cell on top actually pointing
      sideways, can function as a head by using the small diameter
      spindle drive instead of a gear motor to rotate the solar
      cell toward the offside light source.

      Let me know what combination you are considering and
      describe the present head circuit you are using. Note that
      the head circuit should consume little power during the main
      charging cycle after the head (solar cell) has be properly
      oriented.

      enjoy

      From: "martynharris@..." <martynharris@...>
      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [beam] Re: Headbot
      Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:04:41 -0000

      >A-ha!
      >
      >Thank you Jab for pointing me in the right direction, looks
      >a bit technical but hey, it's all a learning experience.
      >;-)
      >
      >Nice bug by the way!
      >Many thanks,
      >
      >Martyn.
      >

      >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech"
      >><jabmechtech@...> wrote:
      >> --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "martynharris@"
      >> ><martynharris@> wrote:
      >> > Hi guys,
      >> >
      >> > I built the ol' headbot circuit over the weekend. I
      >used a playstation 2 controller motor to make it move as
      >the other motors I had were none responsive due to a lack
      >of power from the bicore I suspect(though I'm still
      >> > starting out).
      >> > I bought a few 6.7V, 37x33mm solarcells from
      >Solarbiotics and was wondering whether it was fairly simple
      >to combine the symet and headbot designs to create a
      >solarpowered headbot using a solar panel and some
      >capacitors? I want to do this mainly to cut down on the
      >> > weight of the batteries.
      >> > Apologies if this information is elsewhere.
      >> >
      >> > Many thanks,
      >> >

      >> Sounds Like you want to build a FRED head.
      >> I think it is in Wilf's files. two versions of it, if I
      >> remember corectly. Or you can do the bare bones head, the
      >Solarpowered smart head, wich is awesume, Hmmm, the list
      >> goes on and on.. Jab
      >> > Martyn.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic