57912Re: [beam] Re: Another Noob-ish question, Smartcap nocturnal SE.

  • Myc Holmes
    Jun 1, 2008
      The "jar of fireflies: is a very impressive project.t's like candy, you can just do one!
      I've probably made a half dozen so far, they are great as gifts.
      For those of you who have followed the SMARTBEAM thread, the PICAXE micro is a lot easier to use. down in the comments, there is a link to a Botorincs site with the circuit and software.

      On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:03 PM, kmcderm133 <kmcderm133@...> wrote:

      I just posted back to Wilf in this same thread, and I'll put it here
      too. Instructables is a GREAT site! (Careful, it's addictive!!!!!) I'm
      building Keso's Jar of Fireflies. Here's the link:
      http://www.instructables.com/id/Jar-of-Fireflies/ I'll see if rat
      shack has one of those diodes. Also, the voltage drop was 2V, not 0.2V. :(

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Charles" <jodicalhon@...> wrote:
      > If you can't get a germanium diode, any small signal
      > silicon diode will do, e.g. 1N4148 etc., but you will
      > have a voltage drop of around 0.6V instead of the 0.2V
      > drop of the germanium. A Schottky diode will also
      > give a low forward voltage, but are usually somewhat more
      > expensive than regular diodes (well, when I last looked,
      > anyway.)
      > Depending on what you are doing with the picaxe, you might
      > be interested in Wilf's SIMD1 Solar Regulator:
      > http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html
      > Ummm, what *are* you doing with the picaxe? :)
      > Jo
      > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@> wrote:
      > I couldn't find the germanium 1N34a,
      > > so I used the filters on Digikey and ordered what looked like a
      > > suitable replacement... They sent this big thing (Not TOO big) with
      > > leads that don't fit in the breadboard! The manufacturer part number
      > > for this is MR854 and Digikey's part number is MR854OS-ND. After I get
      > > everything else sorted out, is there a better diode I could be using?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic