57907Re: Another Noob-ish question, Smartcap nocturnal SE.

  • Joseph Charles
    Jun 1, 2008
      If you can't get a germanium diode, any small signal
      silicon diode will do, e.g. 1N4148 etc., but you will
      have a voltage drop of around 0.6V instead of the 0.2V
      drop of the germanium. A Schottky diode will also
      give a low forward voltage, but are usually somewhat more
      expensive than regular diodes (well, when I last looked,
      anyway.)

      Depending on what you are doing with the picaxe, you might
      be interested in Wilf's SIMD1 Solar Regulator:
      http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_noct_SIMD1SR.html

      Ummm, what *are* you doing with the picaxe? :)

      Jo

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "kmcderm133" <kmcderm133@...> wrote:
      I couldn't find the germanium 1N34a,
      > so I used the filters on Digikey and ordered what looked like a
      > suitable replacement... They sent this big thing (Not TOO big) with
      > leads that don't fit in the breadboard! The manufacturer part number
      > for this is MR854 and Digikey's part number is MR854OS-ND. After I get
      > everything else sorted out, is there a better diode I could be using?
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic