56934Re: Headbot circuit for IR

  • Joseph Charles
    Nov 4, 2007
      Sorry, Joshua, I don't know of any ready-made solutions.

      If I follow you correctly, you will have two sets of band-pass
      filters in your head, one tuned to each frequency, and a 1 of 2 mux.
      First find the 2.kHz signal, note the heading, mux in the other
      filter, find the 4kHz signal, note the heading, and calculate your
      position.

      Sort of like having two heads, each tuned to a separate frequency.

      I still think that Wilf's idea of amplitude modulating the
      beacons is your best bet. You could try FM as an alternative.
      Whatever you use for a detector will have a minimum threshold that
      must be overcome before it triggers and, all things being equal,
      the closest sensor will trigger first and its output will have the
      highest duty cycle, thus allowing the head to home in on the source.
      I suppose the trick is keeping the trigger levels of both 'eyes' equal.

      Good luck, it sounds like a nice project.

      What will you use to encode the position of the headbot?

      Cheers,

      Jo

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "joshuagalloway73" <joshuagalloway73@...>
      wrote:

      > Thank you for your help Joseph. The sources I'm trying to follow
      are modulated--one at 2.5kHz, and another at 4kHz, both (+/-)5% square
      waves. I'm hoping to encode the position of the headbot to allow for
      > triangulation of the two beacons and subsequently, positional feedback
      > for my robot. I know I will have to build a couple of band pass
      > filters for the detectors. Mostly, I was just wondering if someone had
      > already done the work for me. If there is a schematic for an ir
      > headbot I could just slap some active filters on, I would love to
      see > it.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic