56508Re: Sensor types

  • wilf_nv
    Aug 3, 2007
      Good example of the difficulty of reaching consensus on standards.

      It is all a matter of defining the organization a complex system into
      meaningful layers or subsystems.

      In biological systems this is incredibly difficult just think of how
      long it took to get to the current understanding of the organization
      of biological functions of the human body and this knowledge is still
      only the tip of the iceberg of how it actually functions.

      Because BEAM systems are so simple it should be possible to do a
      useful definition of the organization of subsystems on which many of
      these simple autonomous electromechanical designs are based.

      Flip flops, delays or memories should probably be considered part of
      a deeper part of the control circuit. However you can broaden the
      sensor subsystem definition to include these functions or define a
      separate sensor processing or "signal conditioning" layer as distinct
      from the motor control layer.

      Perhaps a diagram that follows the signal flow will describe the
      model I am using.

      REALWORLD->SENSORS->SIGNALCONDITIONING->WORLDMODEL->CPG->MOTORS-
      >REALWORLD

      wilf

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Robertson" <mikerobe@...> wrote:

      > ok....
      > how bout i start with temp sensor
      > could we use a comparator with a volage divider to set the
      referance on the negative and a lm335z on the positive

      > or would a window compartor connected to a flip flop work
      better...at least with the flip flop you can easily select if you
      want a high or low output to trigger the bots function
      > if that works then simply changing the sensor type and divider
      should work for different detection types

      > mike

      LDRs
      > to generate a voltage output.
      >
      > Next use an opamp to compare the sensor voltage output to a
      reference
      > voltage or to another sensor's output voltage. When a sensor
      output
      > is above a threshold or is greater than the output voltage of a
      > second sensor the comparator output goes high.
      >
      > Each opamp output signal controls two 4066 type analog gates.
      > Finally, the analog gate I/O pins connect like simple switch
      contacts
      > to the rest of the robot control circuit to provide signal
      inversion,
      > change time constants, discharge delay capacitors, multiplex
      control
      > signals (for reversersing) or implement wired AND/OR logic gates.
      >
      > These modules can be a complete subsystem that can be
      preconfigured
      > and plug interchangably into a protoboard or PCB.
      >
      > Here is a suggested form factor and connector layout to make it
      > compatible with protoboard or a PCB. I assume standard through
      hole
      > components
      >
      > Each sensor module should be 1"x 1" with two IC sockets for
      mounting
      > a LM358 and a CD4066 plus 4 resistors. External connections are
      made
      > two 8 pin connectors made from single inline rows of IC machine
      > sockets with 0.1 inch spacing between pins and positioned along
      the
      > top and bottom edges of the module with 0.9 inch spacing between
      > rows.
      >
      > The top 8 pin connector is used to connect two passive or active
      > sensors and two threshold adjustment pots to the (+/-) inputs of
      the
      > dual opamps and also provides pins for Vcc and gnd. The bottom 8
      pin
      > connector provides 4 independent 4066 switch contacts to be
      > connecteted to the main part of the control circuit.
      >
      > This allows the module to be plugged into a proto board with the
      dual
      > 8 pin machine sockets pins and the socket acting as female input
      > connetors or as feedthroughs for external sensors leads and
      internal
      > jumpers for the control output signals.
      >
      > The module can be raised up above the protoboard to provide
      access to
      > the hidden contact strips underneath the module by stacking up
      > another pair of 8 pin machine sockets on the the two rows of
      > connector pins.
      >
      > The module circuit does not have to be a standalone daughter
      board
      > but can also be integrated into the main circuit protoboard or
      PCB if
      > desired to interchangably accomodate a wide variety of sensors.
      >
      > A standardized sensor subsystem would require more discussion and
      > consensus on the internal circuit and connector pin assigment. If
      > common interface is agreed on, it may go some way to creating a
      line
      > of circuit modules that can be connected together to provide plug
      and
      > play capability.
      >
      > wilf
      >
      > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Robertson" <mikerobe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > i need some ideas/schematics for sensors for my new bot....i
      want
      > to have modular types that i can plug and swap to change the
      function
      > of the bot.
      > > some i thought of so far are
      > > hot/cold
      > > light/dark
      > > batt full/low
      > > edge detect
      > > tilt
      > > proximity
      > > and any other range by ir or emf
      > > oh and naturally the default touch switches....but they're
      > easy...lol
      > >
      > > i need them to have high/low outputs to interface with the rest
      of
      > the bot design
      > >
      > > thanks Mike
      > >
      > > i dont ask for much do i?? lol