41812Re: Where does one get started?

    Mar 1, 2004
      > I hate to be one to ask such a general question, but being new
      > to robotics, where should I begin? What should I read? What
      > should I study? What projects should I try?

      Welcome aboard! It is great to see some new blood. No need to
      disparage yourself about asking general questions. The great thing
      about this group is that both the beginner and the expert are equally
      represented.

      My recommendation on reading is to start with the following three
      books. Junkbots will give you a terrific introduction into the Beam
      philosophy and provide several practical projects. Absolute Beginners
      covers some beginner questions not answered in Junkbots (such a
      breadboarding), and gives a good run down on who's who in robotics
      research. After you have cut your teeth on both of these books, you
      might be hungering for some details and formulas. David Cook's Robot
      Building book is a good follow up as it goes into incredible depth on
      key topics such as batteries, motors, and LEDs.

      My recommendation on building is as follows: the solaroller, the
      Herbie, light-seeking head, 2-motor walker, and BeamAnt from the
      Junkbots book. The 1-motor walker and the CD-bot from Absolute
      Beginners. If you are like me, you might want to skip the
      microprocessor on the CD-bot and put on a breadboard instead.
      Finally, the Sandwich line-follower from Robot Building.

      Incidentally, if you are into robot competitions, then you should
      check out the Eastern Canadian Robot Games (www.robotgames.ca). The
      solaroller, walker, and Sandwich line-follower robots are all
      competition-ready.

      Hope that helps,

      J Wolfgang Goerlich

      Related Links:

      "Junkbots, Bugbots, and Bots on Wheels" by Dave Hrynkiw
      http://junkbots.solarbotics.net

      "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Building Robots" by Gareth Branwyn
      http://www.streettech.com/robotbook/

      "Robot Building for Beginners" by David Cook
      http://www.robotroom.com/RBFB.html
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic