16293I made a promise, and I have kept it.

  • Jesse Willis
    Aug 1, 2001
      About a week or so ago I made mention to a new method for creating PCBs in
      the comfort of your own home which I promised to share with you upon
      returning to Tech. Well, I'm going to make good on my promise now, because
      I have had time to test my method and have found that the results are quite
      promising. The final product is also about 10 times better and cleaner than
      using my Blender Pen method, although it does require a bit more set up time
      to produce the first PCB.

      Bear in mind, this is intended to be used for making many many copies of a
      PCB, for experimentation or other usage. :) Feel free to use this
      technique to sell PCB's to people if you do a particularly good job. Oh
      yeah, first I'll tell you what the method is, and then I'll tell you the
      long boring story of coming up with the idea. You will be making a rubber
      stamp.

      Go to a craft store and buy a few of the biggest NON-GUM STYLE rubber eraser
      you can possibly find. Then look for linoleum cutting tools. If you don't
      know what these are, ask a worker - they will be able to help you. Chances
      are, you probably had to do linoleum cutting in art class in junior high. I
      did, (it sucked) which is why I thought of these. You will probably want a
      very very very small size cutter, preferably in the V shape for making fine
      cuts, as well as a U shaped cutter for making long wide trenches. Once
      you've got this, find yourself a decent waterproof, non-smearing, acid-free
      black ink pad. (I use 'Archival Ink Jet Black'. It's the expensive kind,
      but it is worth it.)

      There ya go! You now have the pieces you need to make a splendid rubber
      stamp of whatever circuit you would like. It takes a bit of practice to
      carve the stamp just right, so don't get disheartened if it takes a few
      go's. This method is great if you want to make many many robots, or wish to
      sell PCB's. Also, if you screw up soldering stuff to one of the PCB's, just
      make a new one.

      Some wisdom :
      Be gentle when stamping the PCB. You don't want to slide the stamp
      around or it will blur the image.
      For making drill holes you can use the following method:
      Large holes: Just take the drill bit and, using your fingers, drill
      a hole in the stamp.
      Small holes: Take a .7 (NOT A .5!!!) mechanical pencil and gently
      poke the lead into the stamp a few times. If done properly, you will get a
      perfect drill hole on the finished PCB.

      Wondering where in the heck this idea came from?

      Okay, so I'm doing my little brainstorm thing one day, trying to devise new
      and better ways to mass produce PCB for my temporarily defunct
      robo-corporation, when suddenly (I.E., like lightning) a thought pounded
      into my brain: What about making a stamp?

      Yar!

      Realizing that this idea just might work, I set about trying to find
      anything I possibly could to make a decent stamp. I tried clay, foam, wood,
      etc., but nothing seemed to work. I knew that making a rubber stamp would
      be almost ideal, but I also knew that it was cost prohibitive to have a
      rubber stamp professionally made. There had to be an alternative...

      Imagine my chagrin one day when my -mother- (the artsy craftsy type) dragged
      me into a Ben Franklin's Crafts store one day, and then as we walked around
      suddenly threw a rubber eraser at me and asked: "Will this work?" I
      should've just killed myself right there in the store, because I invent
      things for fun (like a little umbrella that attaches to your dog's harness
      so you can walk him in the rain, or a solar bicore head based sensor which
      attaches to your Venetian Blinds and automagically opens and closes them to
      let the maximum amount of sunlight in all day long) and my mom beat me to it
      for once. (By the way, I have -tons- of these inventions... Maybe one day
      I'll tell you about them.)

      Okay, so now I'm on a mission. What can I use to carve this? Hah!
      Linoleum cutting tools will work splendidly. As you read above, V and U
      shapes work the best. I also snagged a really cool X-Acto knife with a tiny
      tip and swiveling blade, but this is only for very very fine work, and is
      almost impossible to use.

      Total cost should be less than 10 dollars. 4 bux for the stamp pad, 2 bux
      for each linoleum cutter, and 1 dollar for the rubber erasers.

      Yes, before you go asking me, I have made several of these stamps,
      mostly -derived- from the designs on the BEAM Online website (because they
      are so compact). No, I will probably not be selling PCB unless people
      started beating down my door for it, as well as paying in advance. :) And
      if Eric Seale is reading this, feel free to put this one in your Beam From
      the Ground Up page, too!!! :D

      Gotta go, the caffeine in my system is starting to wear off!
      Jesse
      osmodiar@...
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic