Beam Course

  • Eric Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2001
      G'day beamers. Last week I took the plunge a bought a pc based oscilloscope
      from the states. Its 2-channel, 65 MHz, about $700 canadian - alot of money,
      but in my mind worth it...

      Anyways, I recall seeing a discussion about a course in beam on the list not
      too long ago. I'd like to get this organized, with the help of some of you.
      With a scope in hand, and course material proposed, I think the community
      could learn alot together through a project like this. Some people are
      happy just to build the bots, but I think there are alot of people who want
      to learn the fundamentals.

      If there were other people who own (or have access to an oscilloscope), we
      could all run the course together, and share observations and discussions,
      and come up with good explanations of the circuits under study for the rest
      of the community. The results and findings would be published on the web.
      I'd suggest one lab per week, and an organized online chat or something to
      discuss.

      Proposed Curriculum:

      The Basics:
      - resistors, caps, inductors
      - transistors, diodes, 1381's etc.
      - inverter chips, motors

      The Ciruits:
      - solar engine
      - bicore
      - microcore
      - others (ideas??)

      Forwards:
      - chaotic circuits
      - coupled bicores
      - etc.

      Some of this stuff is already on the web (scope shots of bicore for
      example), but I'd be more intersted in playing around with the circuit, and
      posting the results, so people can learn how different components can affect
      a ciruit.

      Feedback appreciated - let me know what you'd like to see. I'm probably
      going to do this anyways, but it would be much more interesting to get
      several people involved in the analysis and discussion (particularly for the
      complex circuits). (Wilf, Bruce... you know who you are ;)

      ciao,
      Eric D.

      P.S. Eric Seale was nice enough to put up my analysis of the sensorless
      wheeled reverser that ran a thread back in july. Its at:

      http://www.solarbotics.net/bftgu/tutorials_nosensrevers.html